Dive Ops in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have searched through the postings for dive ops and wanted to get some updated recommendations. I have looked at the websites of the different dive ops. We will probably be staying at the Westin, which appears to be away from most of the shops. Do any offer transportation from the Westin? If not, what is the typical costs of a taxi? Has anyone dove with Manta Divers?

What are the typical seas in the end of March? 2-3 foot? 4-6?
Is it calmer in the shallower reefs?
Do any take divers and snorklers on the same boat?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,
I go to Cancun in late march every other year, and have found the seas to be ever changing. There have been days we had 2 ft waves and others we couldn't dive because of the weather.
I have dove with Mayan Aqua and Scorpio divers. I will be diving with Scorpio again this summer.
I don't know how it is this year, but in the past Scorpio divers picked us up at the resort each day. We stay at the Royal Mayan , and its not too far from the Westin.
Can't help you with the snorkeler question.

Enjoy and report back,

Jim Breslin

Wheaton,

I just got back 2 weeks ago from Cancun. We dived with Jorge and Scorpio Divers. Scorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.// Scuba Diving Cancun Puerto Morelos Cozumel Cenotes They will pick you up at your hotel before the drive and drop you off afterwards. That will save from 10.00 US to 20.00 US per trip.

You never know what the weather is going to be in March. You can get a North wind that will shut down the ports or it can be perfect. We have had both. Scorpio Divers has the flexibility to move to different dive locations to reduce the impact of the winds. There is alway the cenotes if the is ocean is not being friendly.

Yup, I have to admit, I am a Scorpio divers fan. We have used Scorpio Divers for at least 20 dives. They have always been on time, have a nice van with A/C. We even have set up non-diving trips to Tulum and Other tourist sites.

Thanks for the feedback. I was surprised that I did not receive more comments. I will contact the shops to get more information.

Our recommendation in Cancun is ALWAYS the same: Alvaro from AlwaysDiving. Check him out.

Scorpio is very good. I have gotten great advice on SB regarding operators.

I just got back from Cancun and a week of diving. Was diving with Scorpio Divers. Small groups, pickup from a hotel, and will take you where you want to go diving. I also posted a bunch of pics and videos on my web site if you want to see what the diving is like.. Tell Jorge that Trent sent ya. :) Xtcscuba and XtcAdventures Lots of vids of the Eagle Rays there posted as well as the pics.

Alvaro is great! (alwaysdiving.com) Two of my traveling companions did intro dives with him, and he was aweome - even made a dvd for them. I was able to join them on their dive and take pictures and share their excitement. It also gave me a chance to watch Alvaro in action, and he was a great, patient teacher. If you will be bringing your own gear, Alvaro will take care of everything for you between dive days. You will definitely not want to miss the cenote diving. It's amazing. Again, I highly recommend Alvaro - good guy, good service.

Hi there,
My name is Daniel and I'm currently employed with Mayan Aqua Dive. Just here answering a couple of your questions. We do offer SD and snorkeling on the same trips, but they are mostly on our afternoon dives on the shallower reefs, such as manchones and chitales. As far as getting to our marina, we have rides that pick up our clients from their hotels and are included in our prices for your dive. We have our dives in the mornings with our certified divers and afternoons are for our Discovery scuba divers and snorkellers. Our whole team speaks English and Spanish and 1 of our dive masters speaks French and Italian as well. We want to make sure our clients have a clear understanding of the dive their about to do and have a comfortable and fun dive as well. If you have any further questions you can reply to us here or Cancun dive, divers Cancun, Mayan Aqua Dive, Dive Center Cancun, PADI Courses Cancun
Thank you and hope to see you soon, Daniel

Hello,
End of March is generally great for diving, due to Cold Front season ending, water begins to warm up. By the end of March Eagle Rays begin to move and leave our waters (between Nov. and Feb. it is amazing to see many of them at the wreck dives) But as Jim mentioned it is ever changing.
Divers and Snorkelers are taken on the same boats for shallow diving 33ft. where you can dive great coral reefs and the underwater museum while non divers snorkel, there are other deeper coral reef dives 55ft. and wrecks 75ft that are not snorkeler friendly.
There are 2 Westin Resorts in Cancun, the Westin Regina and the Westin LagunaMar. The Westin Regina is far from everything.
We prefer not to force any kind of transportation raising prices, some of our divers rent cars for the week or rather use the bus system which is fairly easy or if needed we can send a taxi or a van.

We provide private dive services meaning your group even if it is only yourself will be diving with myself or one of our staff, we may have other divers on board but with their own guides.

If you would like more info click on the website below and shoot me an email.
HOPE THIS INFO HELPS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom