Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what? Are you suggesting that someone with a UTI pees in a wetsuit, then someone else takes it off the boat or whatever and contracts MRSA as a result? You don't really believe that, do you?

Do I think it is likely? No. Do I think it is possible? Absolutely. MRSA in UTIs is not common, but does occur. It is spread through nursing homes and hospitals by exactly that mechanism. The key to everybody's statements about urine is that it is generally sterile...but they leave off the second part...in healthy people. Would you swear that everybody on every dive boat you have ever been on looked healthy? I don't think it is a huge risk, but it is not zero either, especially in countries where there is a higher incidence of some diseases than we see here in the US. I completely understand an employer not wanting to subject their employees to that risk, nor themselves to the liability for subjecting their employees to that risk (however small).

And I will never understand some people's obsession about human urine when they are immersing themselves in a whole ocean full of urine, feces and a virtually endless supply of microbes...

I will never understand why otherwise intelligent, professional and socially functioning adults cannot abstain from pissing themselves for a few hours.

I forget the technical term for it, but it has to do with the body's natural response to being immersed in cooler water. If you are properly hydrated, the body will react to the immersion by trying to thicken the blood and warm the core by pushing fluid out through the kidneys and bladder. If you are not experiencing that reaction upon immersion, you are likely to be dehydrated. If you are in hot humid conditions and are not needing to urinate every 1-2 hours, you are also likely to be dehydrated. So while it may be possible to put yourself in a condition where you could go for several hours on a 2-tank dive trip without needing to urinate, it is not necessarily healthy to do so.

I forget the technical term for it, but it has to do with the body's natural response to being immersed in cooler water. If you are properly hydrated, the body will react to the immersion by trying to thicken the blood and warm the core by pushing fluid out through the kidneys and bladder. If you are not experiencing that reaction upon immersion, you are likely to be dehydrated. If you are in hot humid conditions and are not needing to urinate every 1-2 hours, you are also likely to be dehydrated. So while it may be possible to put yourself in a condition where you could go for several hours on a 2-tank dive trip without needing to urinate, it is not necessarily healthy to do so.

Dive dry? Urinate before getting in the water? Any number of solutions that do not require you to urinate on yourself. It's not a matter of infection or sanitation, it's a manner of acting like a civilized person. I don't want my urine on myself or anyone else.

I forget the technical term for it, but it has to do with the body's natural response to being immersed in cooler water.
Immersion diuresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dive dry? Urinate before getting in the water? Any number of solutions that do not require you to urinate on yourself. It's not a matter of infection or sanitation, it's a manner of acting like a civilized person. I don't want my urine on myself or anyone else.
You're wet already and the water is anything but clean, what's the difference?

My only issue with peeing in my wetsuit has to do with rashes and smell. No matter how much you flush out your suit, it will retain some urine smell when it dries. Fact. Another fact, as I mentioned before, I found that I was getting a rash around my ankles from it, especially when wearing a heavy wetsuit in cold water. I really really try to avoid doing it as much as possible.... but as others have mentioned it is a biological fact that your body does once you hit the water!

I will never understand why otherwise intelligent, professional and socially functioning adults cannot abstain from pissing themselves for a few hours.

I think I am intelligent, professional and socially functioning. However after doing the recommended prior dive hydration and spending close to an hour in the water especially as the depth decresases my 68 year old bladder is sometimes not so intelligent, not so professional, and cares about only one kind of functioning. It is called releiving pain.

But then 90% if the time it is my wefsuit. And in all cases one opens the next and rinses the suit out Just prior to exit.

Love the smell of neopurine in the morning.
The parrot fish don't mind pooping on me so I don't mind them swimming in my pee.
At home we have an ool not a pool because there is no p in it, but I'll never swim in a public pool.
They say having a nonsmoking area in a restaurant is like having a nonpeeing area in a pool.

Back
Top Bottom