Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should probably add another layer to your tinfoil hat. You know, to keep out the alien brain waves. Seriously. Do you actually believe this, or are you so desperate to win your point that you'll resort to any form of a straw-man argument?

No, I am not imagining things. I have a mother in a nursing home who contracted a UTI with MRSA bacteria. They placed her in an isolation hallway for nearly 3 weeks with 4 other patients who also had MRSA UTIs. Anybody who went into their rooms had to wear gloves and scrub up upon leaving to avoid the possibility of taking it with you when you left the room. The head nurse explained to me that it was likely that the 5 patients all contracted it from an aide that didn't properly wash her hands or change gloves after handling soiled diapers or bedclothes from one patient to the next. So yes, MRSA can be transmitted from soiled bedclothes, including in urine. It is not a tinfoil hat scenario, and anybody who has worked in a nursing home would agree with me.

Now is it likely to be transmittable in a soiled wetsuit? I don't know...probably alot less likely...but it isn't impossible, especially if the wetsuit wasn't well flushed during the dive before being taken off on the boat.

Now is it likely to be transmittable in a soiled wetsuit? I don't know...probably alot less likely...but it isn't impossibleespecially if the wetsuit wasn't well flushed during the dive before being taken off on the boat.,

OH, OK. So your argument is bounded by "the realm of possibility" then. OK. Well I suppose it's at least possible that Danica Patrick read one of my Reddit posts, fell crushingly in love with me as a result and is at this very moment flying here to declare her love for me.

So I'll do this: If you can find a single documented case of someone contracting MRSA from a wetsuit infected by someone with a UTI, I'll go out to Scubatoys, purchase a brand new Zeagle Flathead reg and have it drop shipped directly to you. I'm that confident that you're completely grasping at straws here.

What would you suggest as an alternative for a female on a dive boat without a head? In a tropical area where a drysuit would be uncomfortable? I guess I could wear a drysuit with pee valve and very light undergarment but its miserable to get into on a boat and not be able to cool off when topside temperatures are hot/humid. I know, because I avoid drysuit diving here in AZ during the summer for this very reason.

You can peel you wet suit down to below your butt and hop in the water behind the boat and hold the ladder like some people do.

But I'm not saying you need to, just saying it's an option. I personally love peeing in my wet suit and just assume everyone does it too.

OH, OK. So your argument is bounded by "the realm of possibility" then. OK. Well I suppose it's at least possible that Danica Patrick read one of my Reddit posts, fell crushingly in love with me as a result and is at this very moment flying here to declare her love for me.

So I'll do this: If you can find a single documented case of someone contracting MRSA from a wetsuit infected by someone with a UTI, I'll go out to Scubatoys, purchase a brand new Zeagle Flathead reg and have it drop shipped directly to you. I'm that confident that you're completely grasping at straws here.

In the post that you quoted from me, you conveniently left out where I said I didn't think it was likely. You only quoted where I said it was possible. I followed up your insulting response with a real world example of MRSA from UTIs being tranmitted between people from soiled diapers and bedding. My example was just one of many that happen all the time in nursing homes.

I already have a reg that works just fine for me, so lets do this instead. I have already given real world basis for my statement. Now why don't you give us some real world basis for your apparently belief that transmission of MRSA in a soiled wetsuit is impossible. There is very little difference between somebody peeing in a wetsuit and somebody peeing in a diaper. If it can be transmitted from pee in a diaper, why are you so adamantly certain that there is zero possibility of it being transmitted in a wetsuit? Go ahead...I have given you a real world basis for my statement that it is possible...you go ahead and give us your explanation of why it is impossible. What makes it completely impossible that it could ever happen?

There is very little difference between somebody peeing in a wetsuit and somebody peeing in a diaper.
Very little difference??? Wetsuits aren't designed to soak up fluids. Quite the contrary is the case. Plus, you're already submerged in a liquid and the whole thing just infinitely dilutes away. Remember that we're not talking about peeing into/onto a dry wetsuit on dry land. That would be a wholly different story.

Very little difference??? Wetsuits aren't designed to soak up fluids. Quite the contrary is the case. Plus, you're already submerged in a liquid and the whole thing just infinitely dilutes away. Remember that we're not talking about peeing into/onto a dry wetsuit on dry land. That would be a wholly different story.

Next time you're diving ask somebody if you can lick their wet suit, on the inside around the crotch region if you think a wetsuit is so different than a diaper. I'm betting you won't.:wink:

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't enter the fray but I feel like it may be time to interject a few medical facts. Staph bacteria, MRSA or otherwise, are not a common cause of UTI in the general population. I do not work with nursing home residents so can not speak to its frequency in this population but I doubt you will find many diving, in wetsuits or otherwise.

Staph, including MRSA, is a common cause of wound infections, cellulitis and abscesses. Could MRSA be transferred by a wetsuit? Unsurprisingly, I have no data on that. Certainly, an open, draining wound infection is contagious but would it survive the wetsuit environment, I have no idea. One would hope such an individual would not be diving. Could handling such a wetsuit give you a UTI? Absolutely not. (edit: Unless you are doing something very odd with it...)

I do not pee in my wetsuit....I have been known to pull it down below my knees while underwater...I get some strange looks, but my suit does not smell....:)

Neoprene is designed to absorb water too! That is why wetsuits work. They capture and absorbe water into the layers of porous rubber and your body heat warms it up. They don't trap and hold it quite as well as a diaper does, but in terms of absorbing pee, there is very little difference in the two.

But before this gets any further off track or Charles calls in the xfiles team, let me just clarify one thing. I am not trying to argue to anybody for any reason that there is some huge and underappreciated risk from pee in wetsuits. I am also not trying to argue that anybody should be scared of peeing in their wetsuit or being around others who have peed in theirs. My only reason for entering an opinion on this thread was to counter the arguments of those stating that pee was entirely sterile and that it was irrational for an operator not to handle people's wetsuits. In doing so, I gave an opinion based on personal experience that pee is not always sterile and that it can be an agent of disease transmission. I didn't do that to say that I thought it was common, likely, or a big problem. It was just stated to counter the arguments that there was no possibility that it could be a problem. There are dozens of possible diseases and disease tranmission mechanisms that could result from handling wetsuits from people infected with various diseases...none of them are particularly likely, but none of them are necessarily impossible either (before anybody objects, think things like herpes, skin infections, etc. Again, not likely at all...but not impossible).

If you are a dive operator and believe the possibility is very small and want to expose your employees to that possibility for whatever wage you are willing to pay them, and they are willing to do it, then more power to you. You have every right to do it and your employees are adults who can make their own decisions. Likewise, I understand that there are operators who don't see the risk as small or impossible, and who just don't want to subject their employees to it for what they are paying them. I don't think those dive operators should be attacked, criticized, or belittled for making that choice either. If you want to pee in your wetsuit, that is your right. But it is extremely arrogant to think that you have the right to demand that somebody else wash it out for you after you do it so that you don't have to. They have the right to decide not to do that, and I think it is wrong to criticize them for it. That is all I really wanted to state by commenting.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2013 at 04:27 PM ----------

I probably shouldn't enter the fray but I feel like it may be time to interject a few medical facts. Staph bacteria, MRSA or otherwise, are not a common cause of UTI in the general population. I do not work with nursing home residents so can not speak to its frequency in this population but I doubt you will find many diving, in wetsuits or otherwise.

Staph, including MRSA, is a common cause of wound infections, cellulitis and abscesses. Could MRSA be transferred by a wetsuit? Unsurprisingly, I have no data on that. Certainly, an open, draining wound infection is contagious but would it survive the wetsuit environment, I have no idea. One would hope such an individual would not be diving. Could handling such a wetsuit give you a UTI? Absolutely not. (edit: Unless you are doing something very odd with it...)

I agree with you that not many nursing home patients do much diving. As I said above, I only brought up the MRSA in UTI possibility in order to point out that urine was not always sterile, not because I thought it was a likely exposure pathway. Just to inject some additional facts...I can't find the link now, but I saw a link to a study on MRSA survival in various types of pool water...chlorinated, salt water, non-chlorine disinfectant, etc. They found that within about an hour of the MRSA being put into the water, it was no longer active or infectious. I think I also read that something like 7% of folks may be carriers of MRSA who do not necessarily have outward symptoms or lesions. So while it is not implausible to think of people with MRSA going diving without knowing about it, even if they did release some pus, urine, blood, etc. into a wetsuit, it would only likely be infectious for an hour or less in salt water. So again, quite unlikely...but not impossible.

---------- Post added September 20th, 2013 at 04:33 PM ----------

50% of people admit they pee in their wetsuit, the other half lie about it.

It remains to be seen what percentage demand that somebody else clean it out for them for a few extra pesos a day. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom