Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that there's not a huge health risk handling wetsuits. Wear gloves if really concerned. I'm still trying to figure out why our local shops rent wetsuits to students for their classes but require them to purchase fins as personal gear. When did fins become personal gear? I just don't understand why it would be a big deal for a new OW student to rent fins.
I guess it just means more money for every OW class.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 07:25 AM ----------

With them amount of MRSA in AZ, I'd take my chances on the urine soaked towel over the sweaty towel anyway.

Yep, MRSA is rampant here too. I'd say its the pathogen found in roughly 80% of our wound cultures.

The Israeli study found that only 10% of the subjects couldn't smell asparagus urine. I've never met a non-smeller AFAIK, though it's not exactly a question I ask of all my acquaintances.

In any case, I don't eat asparagus for breakfast very often. If asparagus is one of the omelet fillings at the Secrets buffet, I'll opt for spinach instead out of respect for my wetsuit handlers :)
I'm a non- smeller. But, I can taste stuff my husband can't taste. He's a non-taster. I'd hate to be a non-taster, although it would probably be easier to stay skinny.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 08:45 AM ----------

Wouldn't it be easier to just switch dive ops than carry large trash bags around?

I'm amazed at how much people like to wear their wetsuits. At Sabor I see people having breakfast in wetsuits. At Blue Angel I have seen people strutting around at 7 in the morning in their wetsuits, and they have a 45 minute boat ride so they must really like wetsuits. Some people never take them off the whole day. I never found one I like to wear so I don't put mine on until I see the DM putting theirs on. That way I can enjoy 5 minutes of my 10 minute boat ride wetsuit free. The wetsuit comes off as soon as I get on the boat too there's nothing worse than wearing a wet wetsuit. Being able to leave it on the boat is a huge convenience I definitely don't want to drag it around in a large trash bag, and I'm not going to wear it either. I like to leave it on the boat. I never found the need to pee in it I go before I get on the boat and on the SI not in the wetsuit. My wetsuit isn't hazardous material.
i don't even wear mine on the surface interval. I wear a Lycra skin and that gives me sun protection. I'm much more comfortable, if its hot or cold outside, if I get out of the wetsuit on surface intervals.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2013 at 08:48 AM ----------

Sometimes it is F'n amazing to read these threads.... Is this really a problem ??? :confused: You people ever have kids or pets, You get over pee really fast.... Your happy it's just pee you find...:banana: Drinking water is needed to hydrate .... Drinking water makes you pee.... Peeing after drinking large amounts of water flushes the bladder and the ppm's of things bacteria like is almost nil.... I take with me and drink water on dives "UNDERWATER".... I also pee a lot... :wink: My wetsuit does not smell.... I'll pick-up and handle any wetsuit without thinking about it...

Maybe I should start a business in mexico...

Pee Suit Handling Services... "We are your number 1# friend in Cozumel, Just don't send us a number 2#" :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim.....
We also drink underwater, from small camel bak. Easy to strap on your tank, run the drinking hose over the shoulder. Gets rid of the dry mouth from the compressed air and in hot climates, where you're sweating before jumping in, its hard to stay hydrated without continuous drinking.

I did, the whole first year that I dove Puget Sound. From the military base. I actually suspect that I was the only person who used the wetsuit that I did. Not that many cold water divers my size on an Army Base.

We did our check-out dives in Puget Sound in a Feb., in a rental 7mm farmer john. It was so damn cold, we couldn't pee. The necessary equipment was lodged somewhere between the liver and pancreas.

[video=youtube;xos2MnVxe-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c[/video]

Ha! ha! The amount of fear around pee is just hilarious. You'd think we were talking about nuclear waste here.

If you think it's "icky" then please, go forth with that belief system. Whatever you do, Never, Ever discourage or ridicule another diver for peeing in their wetsuit. Reasoning:

- If they're peeing in their suit then they're relaxed.

- If they're peeing in their wetsuit then they're properly hydrated.

People rent wet suits?

On handling of gear: I prefer to take care of my own gear, including when I am on vacation.

Works if you have the right gear and can haul it with you. I dive sometimes while on business travel. I may not even have the right wetsuit. Did 2 days of diving near Vancouver in a 10/14 wetsuit. Rented of course. Did a couple days in California. Again rented a heavy wet suit. Did a couple days of shore diving in Greece. There I had a suit at home that would have worked but I was not going to drag it to and around Europe and back. Even rented regs for that one. Rented wet suit in Maui. For all these the op/guide took care of the wet suit.

At the risk of repeating:

1. Avoid wetsuits all together. Problem solved.
2. I hydrate alot. Don't swim behind me. Also if we are waiting to use the ladder and I put my reg on my head, you should too. Quickly....

MRSA can be in pee too from folks with UTIs. I pee plenty in my wetsuit...but I flush it out during the dive and don't expect anybody else to handle my wetsuit. I am also with CV...If I can avoid wearing a wetsuit, I do. Just spent a week in Little Cayman diving with nothing but a pair of shorts and a rash guard.

MRSA can be in pee too from folks with UTIs.

So what? Are you suggesting that someone with a UTI pees in a wetsuit, then someone else takes it off the boat or whatever and contracts MRSA as a result? You don't really believe that, do you?

MRSA can be in pee too from folks with UTIs. I pee plenty in my wetsuit...but I flush it out during the dive and don't expect anybody else to handle my wetsuit. I am also with CV...If I can avoid wearing a wetsuit, I do. Just spent a week in Little Cayman diving with nothing but a pair of shorts and a rash guard.
True, although its much, much less common in urine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom