Dive operators in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micagreen

New
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post.... :D

My wife and I will be honeymooning in Phuket Thailand the third week in March. We'd like to do 3-4 days of diving and I'm trying to find a good dive operator. My SO is a "green" diver and has only been diving a couple of times in Cozumel so I'm looking for a place that dives with SMALL groups (4-8 people total). We don't want to get stuck diving with a shop that takes 20 (or more) people out to dive the same site!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
~Todd

I just dived Phuket two weeks ago - I dived with Scuba Cat and was very happy with them.

It was my first time diving with a large operator, but the good thing is that they have plenty of dive masters to take you out in small groups - there were about 25 of us in total, but my group consisted of 5 including the DM. Scuba Cat is a very well-run operation, they provide excellent service and dive briefings and maintain their equipment well. I would definitely dive with them again.

Another operator that comes highly recommended is called Asian Adventures . I saw their boat out in the bay where we dived and they had a smaller group of people - could have been just that day - it is a smaller boat as well.

I dived Koh Racha Yai (Bungalow Bay and Barracuda Bay) which I think would be a perfect start for your SO. They were easy dives, max depth 15m, and so much to see.

Let me know if I can help with any other Thai-related queries.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the info!

We're getting really excited about the trip!

Does anyone have any -bad- stories from Phuket? Dive shops to avoid? Places to stay away from?

~Todd

As far as dive shops to avoid, I can't help there as yet. I'm still compiling info - I can only recommend you to the ones I am familiar with, or that have been recommended to me... so far those two! A friend of mine dives with another shop called Poseidon located in Chalong. IF I hear of anything else I'll let you know.

As for places to stay away from, it really depends what you're looking for. I never had the urge to go to Phuket before I started diving because of Patong Beach which I'd heard was pretty sleazy and full of tourists. I was pleased to find that it's really not all that sleazy but it is packed with people and shop after shop after shop all selling the same stuff - T-shirts, sarongs etc etc. Patong is definitely not a quiet area - lots of bars and clubs as well as restaurants and the usual junk food chains but the selling point for me was the spectacular bay on which it sits. The beach is really quite gorgeous (once you can see past the hundreds of deck chairs sporting bronzing Europeans).

You've got everything you need in Patong(where are you staying?), however if you're looking for more peace and quiet, you can easily hire a car or motorbike and drive around the island. The northern area is much more secluded with only a few large luxury hotels dotted along the beachfront. There is a turtle reserve at Nai Yang beach which is supposed to be lovely. Most of the beaches are pretty spectacular - I was impressed and I've lived in Thailand most of my life! I'd just forgotten all about Phuket until now and luckily for me I go back there tomorrow for my liveaboard trip to the Similans... (I know, I know, I keep talking about it but I've been planning this trip for 10 months and it's finally here!)

Anyways, Tom - let me know if you need any more hints.
Cheers

We stayed on Kata Beach late january/early February and used Phuket Scuba Club who were excellent. My wife completed her OW and AOW and I completed my AOW. A colleague from work had used Diveasia last year and said they were also very good.

As for diving make sure you get in the King Cruiser wreck, and I'd also recommend Koh Bida just South of Phi Phi.

Hi,

I did my dive with Scuba Cat two years ago and I liked their service. They would usually take you out in a group of not more than 3 or 4 and especially when you let them know your position...they will pay more attention with you.

My trip then was with a group of less than 12 divers had fresh fruits and local food for lunch during our day trip.

If you are thinking of conveniences...do plan part of your stay at the north region of Phuket island as most dives depart from there while the night life is mostly on the southern part though you do have some things to do also at Kamala..etc in the north part.

I was at Bayview along phuket patong then had to wake up early to be pucked up all the way to the jetty for boarding to the dive boat.

Happy diving!:eek:ut:

Definately try to stay away from Patong beach

We stayed at Kata beach in the south and did our OW and AOW with Calypso divers....very good shop, friendly, very experienced and their dive boat Greta was great!! Never more than 4 people per divemaster. They have trips daily to all dive sited around Phuket and on weekends the do an overnight at Phi Phi (good trip for the money).

Enjoy!!

Scubacat's safety record is not unblemished. I can also say that Ocean Divers is a dive center to be leery of. But there are plenty of good shops in Phuket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom