Dive operators in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phuket is very nice and one of the most visited diving areas of Thailand so the sites are developed, well known and safe. The diving will not be very deep or courageous but you'll get to see several things that Cozumel doesn't have like Clownfish and Anemones.

I've been there 6+ times - Phuket has some nice sites for day trips like Anemone Reef, Koh Doc mai, Koh Racha and Phi Phi Islands. I'd stay away from the King Cruiser wreck as it was a bit crowded with several boats at the site at once and quite a few divers in the water.

Day trips are very nice and they usually feature local fruit for snacks like pineapple and mangos (much sweeter than what you get in the USA).
Here's a great website by an American, John Williams, living there who recently co-wrote the new Lonely Planet Dive Guide to Thailand - Siam Dive and Sail - Siam Divers DAY TRIP WEBSITE.
Great descriptions and photos of what to expect

Most tourists that go to Phuket Island stay around the town of Patong which has a center section of open bars with girls that you may want to avoid - CANDO's advice is right, this may be a bit too blatant for your new wife. Just down the coastline a mile or two are very secluded areas of Karon and Kata that are nicer places with sandy beaches.

If you need any trip advice or reservations, I've used John Williams to assist in choosing/booking trips and his comments have always been 100% correct for what I was looking for.

For an even better idea of what the scenery is like, rent the movie "The Beach" turn the sound down (awful storyline) and enjoy the photography - striking blue water with limestone islands rising vertically out of the water encrusted with lush greenery.

You will probably only see clownfish if you go to the Similan Islands. Clownfish are rarely seen at daytrip sites. If you are lucky you can spot one at Raja Noi which is seldom on the daytrip itinerary.
RSdiver once bubbled...
Phuket is very nice and one of the most visited diving areas of Thailand so the sites are developed, well known and safe. The diving will not be very deep or courageous but you'll get to see several things that Cozumel doesn't have like Clownfish and Anemones.

Clownfish? All over the place. You should see them at Shark Point, Anemone Reef, Racha Yai, Phi Phi and Similan.

I think we've all strayed off the point. The guy is looking for a boat that takes just a few divers out. Here in Phuket, most day trip boats will have 20 or more divers when full. Sure, you'll dive in a group with a DM, 4 divers per DM is the norm.

Racha Yai may be the best bet for a "green" diver - is she actually certified or has she done some "Discover" dives? Most shops will happily give you a private guide for a small additional fee.

Happy Travels!

diverkim once bubbled...
You will probably only see clownfish if you go to the Similan Islands. Clownfish are rarely seen at daytrip sites. If you are lucky you can spot one at Raja Yai which is seldom on the daytrip itinerary.

Where the hell were you diving in Racha? Bungalow Bay is teaming with them

Bay 1 has loads in the shallows and when you move the trigger fish.
On the way down to the wreck, there are loads.

Sea Bees have a Runabout that only has 12 capacity, they should be able to help.

look at the date of the first post.... Hopefully they are coming up to their first anniversary now.

Don't forget micagreen...

Yes, I goofed. I was responding to clown triggerfish and not clownfish as in clown anemonefish. I stand corrected. They are everywhere.
Belushi once bubbled...

Where the hell were you diving in Racha? Bungalow Bay is teaming with them

Bay 1 has loads in the shallows and when you move the trigger fish.
On the way down to the wreck, there are loads.

Back
Top Bottom