Dive Op review: Freestyle Divers, Dibba UAE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could we do it on the 11th?

He'll probably come up with some excuse like he's washing his hair that day :rofl3:

I would be happy to buddy with you for a dive if I can get out of the shop. Or you can request me to dive with which helps as I am now working at Freestyle. :wink:

Thanks for being my dive buddy on the 11th. I enjoyed the dives. Here are some pictures I took:
M1829891.JPG
M1829900.JPG
M1829901.JPG
M1829908.JPG
M1829911.JPG
M1829919.JPG
M1829920.JPG

Last edited:
We heard the weather would be rubbish over on the east coast yesterday so we did a show dive from Dubai this morning.

Finished a 97 minute dive around 09:30, totally relaxing and stress free without the 2 hour drive :D

I'd also like to vouch for Freestyle Divers if you are looking for some diving in the UAE.

I recently posted this thread about a month ago seeking advice for some diving around UAE/Oman since I was going to be visiting relatives in the area anyway. - Fantastic dives from UAE

I was put in touch with a number of options/operators and decided to go with Freestyle Divers in Dibba Freestyle Divers - Scuba Diving & Diving Courses - UAE & Musandam, yet again thanks to this sites great advice and community it turned out to be an excellent couple of days diving.

After starting my diving advice thread for the UAE I unfortunately got distracted by studies and It soon became a short notice and a rather last minute affair, however, I was able to organise some diving just before I departed for the UAE and Freestyle Divers were incredibility accommodating and hospitable.

It had been a while since my last dive (28/03/2018) to be exact, and so it was really reassuring to have staff gently remind me and talk me though the procedures of setting up of the tank. - this level of professionalism continued throughout the two days diving with Freestyle Divers.

The dives for my first day with Freestyle divers was Dibba Rock, I honestly was not expecting to be amazed by UAE diving, I honestly just wanted to get some diving in whilst I was visiting my family so that I could keep what I'd learned fresh in my head. But I was really amazed by this site and later Dibba in general. - it is stunning that it is not a more talked about location, for me it is definitely useful to know about Dibba for any future family visits. Even before we set off to dive a few turtles were pointed out to me, they often feed on the sea grass covered rocks that aren't far from the shore of Freestyle Divers.

The whole day at Dibba rock went perfectly, for me every element of each dive was spot on, normally I have issues with my mask fogging up or my fins being to tight but but that was not an issue, it was also a dive that was a really really short ride from the Freestyle Divers base of operations, and for me who had last dived in Ibiza (14 degrees) the water temp was perfect. Plus on the very FIRST dive highlights were a large Turtle, a pregnant Pipefish, Morey eels, Puffer fish Stone fish, lots of lion fish, goby and shrimp combo, a Nudibranch and a ray (which could not be identified with accuracy as it was partially hidden), later at the night dive at the same site highlights were a Slipper Lobster, banded coral shrimp, a moray, a small Crayfish, a bunch of Trumpet fish and this strange inflating seaworm (can't think of the name). - I was not expecting this kind of life at all in UAE, in addition the coral is in great shape very colorful and lively (even the classic clownfish and anemone combo was there).

On the second day I went to Inchcape 1 - once again it was an experience that had professional and friendly service in addition to great marine life - Cow tailed ray, 3x Scorpion fish, and a few fat Lionfish, 2 huge Morey's (regulars to the site) one fully out, 2 smaller morays and lots more whip corals.

Second site of the day was Artificial reef - Another Pipefish, Leopard flounder, Crabs, a herd of busy goat fish (which you could really closely observe), Moses sole, boxfish, banded coral shrimp and moray eels.

I'm quite a picky diver so I strive to dive the best available but I was left completely stunned by the life that can be found around Dibba, and the UAE as I had never considered it as a special location for diving, I also hear that musandam has the ability to rival Dibba, seeing that Dubai is a major transport hub it is pretty amazing to think that such a convenient yet spectacular dive location is forgotten.

I was completely new to UAE and diving in UAE (first activity I did after stepping off the plane) but I was really looked after by Darryl (the owner) his friends and family and the staff, really went away feeling like one of the family, and felt completely safe and reassured by their professionalism.

A nice write up.

I'm quite a picky diver so I strive to dive the best available but I was left completely stunned by the life that can be found around Dibba, and the UAE as I had never considered it as a special location for diving

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's nice to "see" our diving through the eyes of a visitor. Because it's our local diving, we tend to take things for granted. I personally don't consider any of the sites you visited to be anything special. Nice for a easy day's diving - nothing more.

That's in no way meant to be disrespectful to your experiences though.

I also hear that musandam has the ability to rival Dibba

The Musandam is night and day to Dibba, there's just no comparison. Lots of centres go north a little way to Lima and octopus, and while there's a lot of life they struggle with the same visibility - more often green with low vis.

Further north right to the tip of the Musandam on the Straits of Hormuz is where the best diving really is (unless you're a macro photographer) But it's generally very challenging diving, and not the sort of place a DM could safely guide even a small group. You need to be self sufficient, used to blue water diving and okay in very strong currents. But teh rewards are truly spectacular on a good day, with shoals of 100's of 2m long Barracuda, or Batfish, King and Queen fish Giant Trevally massive rays of all types plus regular Whale Sharks and the occasional Mola Mola.

And while it's untouched with only a tiny number of divers visiting it (the best sites have less than 30 divers a month) it has variable visibility. Not as bad as Lima and Dibba where the Vis can be a few metre. but it can be green and yuk (it can also have 50m plus vis)

And this is the achilles heal of the Musandam. The Aggressor charge $3500 for 7 days if you add in air flights you're into the $5000 - $6000 range - I certainly would pay that when there is no guarantee of good vis, The Maldives of Indo can be had for less money with almost guarantee vis and life.

For us it's fab local diving, and world class - often spoiling us for visiting other destinations - but it requires little effort nor cost for a weekends diving.

If you're this way again try to do it

Back
Top Bottom