Dive op question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all...

I am looking for a dive op that allows you to dive your own dive profile....One thing I hate it when the dive guide goes up early just because they hit their 40-45 min window.....I breathe pretty well and feel I get shortchanged when it comes to bottom time Im used to....

Anyone have any suggestions?

NightRaven77

Never had any shortchanged dives with Dive Paradise or Caribbean Divers in 4 trips to Coz, 30 dives.

Unless I am mistaken, their liability requires a guide with you in the water at all times. So, while you might be able to dive your own profile to some degree, there are limitations to what they will allow you to do with any dive op.

That being said, Deep Blue does advertise themselves as "Extended Range Divers" and they have never limited me in 22 dives. If you are up front about what you want to do, they should be able to accomodate you.

Of course, the advice to be up front with the dive op applies to all dive ops and to all divers. Let them know what you want, what you expect and ask what they can do for you. If you want longer bottom times, you don't want the guide that already did 2 deep dives just a couple hours ago.

However, remember that it is a business, and if you want real long bottom times, you need to make sure that you are not keeping them from other pick-ups or anything. If you want them to schedule / plan around your special needs, then you may need to consider their business needs also. (I know what I am trying to convey, but not sure how to express it)

Wristshot

I've only had one trip to Coz, so I'm no expert, but I did alot of research to pick a dive op. From what you're saying, I'd suggest you look at the smaller boats who take a max of 6 divers. You'll be more likely to get experienced divers who are interested in quality dives. And the boat isn't on a schedule to get back to the shop for the next 20 divers booked on the 1:00 afternoon trip. We used Living Underwater and were very happy with the services, the boat and the diving. We're going back in Dec and have booked with LU.

Other shops that get good reveiws and offer the service level I think you're looking for are Liquid Blue, Blue XT Sea, Deep Blue, Bottom Time Divers, Aldora.

My recommendation is to try and get the same divemaster for all of your dives. Talk to the divemaster with your buddy before your first dive, let him know that you will follow the first days dive profile. Demonstrate that you can follow instructions, have good buoyancy control, and compare your air consumption with your divemasters pressure gauge after each dive for the first two dives. Remember on the subsequent days your nitrogen load will be higher than the rest of the divers on the boat, and your surface interval will be shorter if you decide to stay down longer. Pay close attention to your no decompression limit on your computer while diving.

I dove with Blue XT Sea Diving: http://www.bluextseadiving.com/.

On all of our dives, we were able to dive as long as air or ndl limits permitted. We did not have any predetermined times or limits.

The boat is small and fast, so you also get to the dive sites quickly, frequently passing other boats on the way.

It also had shade, which was nice. During the surface intervals, we were given dry fluffy towels, windbreakers if it was chilly, water, juice and snacks.

All of that was quite nice, but most importantly, we could stay down without predetermined times or limits.

Michael

michaelp68:
I dove with Blue XT Sea Diving: http://www.bluextseadiving.com/.

On all of our dives, we were able to dive as long as air or ndl limits permitted. We did not have any predetermined times or limits.

The boat is small and fast, so you also get to the dive sites quickly, frequently passing other boats on the way.

It also had shade, which was nice. During the surface intervals, we were given dry fluffy towels, windbreakers if it was chilly, water, juice and snacks.

All of that was quite nice, but most importantly, we could stay down without predetermined times or limits.

Michael

I liked the fluffy towels after the dive. I stole that idea for myself.

Back
Top Bottom