Dive masters work for TIPS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but DM's and instructors majority of the time ride on the boat for free. To me, that is considered payment. I personally could care less about getting help on the boat. If I wanted a butler, I would hire one.

Now, having a DM guide UW is a different thing. DM's generally have more experience on the dive sites, so they know what to look for at that location and can point out items that are always there. IMO, that's what a DM should be tipped for.

I do not like anyone else setting up my gear, as I'm sure most people wouldn't care for it. Doing safety checks on my gear is fine and dandy, but setting up my gear for me isn't something I care for!

I hate having to tip, even in restaurants. I think any place that expects you to tip should include the tip in the price. One day we will have to tip the online dive stores for offering such a great service!

I tip people that do me big favors, like a bribe to please do some more.

Like, pick me up last every day so I can sleep longer.

frankc420:
Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but DM's and instructors majority of the time ride on the boat for free. To me, that is considered payment. I personally could care less about getting help on the boat. If I wanted a butler, I would hire one.

Now, having a DM guide UW is a different thing. DM's generally have more experience on the dive sites, so they know what to look for at that location and can point out items that are always there. IMO, that's what a DM should be tipped for.

I do not like anyone else setting up my gear, as I'm sure most people wouldn't care for it. Doing safety checks on my gear is fine and dandy, but setting up my gear for me isn't something I care for!

I hate having to tip, even in restaurants. I think any place that expects you to tip should include the tip in the price. One day we will have to tip the online dive stores for offering such a great service!
Depends. As an instructor I generally pay the charter fee just like everyone else, unless I charter the whole boat. Same thing if the DM was hired privately vs. working "for the boat".

I see. If a DM isn't being paid, either with free trips or something else in exchange, IMO he/she isn't 'hired' help. If no free trip etc is involved, they are all "working for the boat"

Now, if that's how it really is on most of the charters in the US and other parts of the country, the dive operators should be ashamed of themselves. Like someone said before, set 2 rates, one for folks who WANT the help and one for those who do not. Then the ones that wanted the help have the option to tip or not.

chickdiver:
Depends. As an instructor I generally pay the charter fee just like everyone else, unless I charter the whole boat. Same thing if the DM was hired privately vs. working "for the boat".

Don't get me wrong, DMs have their place and are appreciated by me! I simply don't need one to setup my gear! Nor do I need one to guide me around a small wreck.

A DM on the Oriskany or Spiegel, would be nice to have however. :D

Reefraff2:
Also could someone clear this up for me. I thought that the capt. of a boat couldn't leave the boat and preform duties of a DM, getting in and leaving the boat unattended. Is this a rule/law or just the operations of the charter service?

It's a law in the US or for a US flagged vessel anywhere in the world. Now, if a boat has more than one licensed captain, the captain can leave the vessel as long as another captain is on duty on board. Laws in other countries may vary.

Hmmm, interesting! :D

Walter:
It's a law in the US or for a US flagged vessel anywhere in the world. Now, if a boat has more than one licensed captain, the captain can leave the vessel as long as another captain is on duty on board. Laws in other countries may vary.

When DM's are guiding groups underwater, in those situations are they getting paid like a real employee? Or even then they aren't? If they aren't, then something is seriously messed up. Even if they don't pay for the boat ride, so what. If they are working, and guiding groups underwater is work, they should be paid for that with a normal paycheck, not through tips.

frankc420:
... Now, having a DM guide UW is a different thing. DM's generally have more experience on the dive sites, so they know what to look for at that location and can point out items that are always there. IMO, that's what a DM should be tipped for.

I'm guessing your agreeing with me here, as that is exactly what I'm saying...

Paco II:
When DM's are guiding groups underwater, in those situations are they getting paid like a real employee? Or even then they aren't? If they aren't, then something is seriously messed up. Even if they don't pay for the boat ride, so what. If they are working, and guiding groups underwater is work, they should be paid for that with a normal paycheck, not through tips.

That's great if we are saying the same thing, but I am more interested in trying to understand this whole business. How did this all get started? How did dive operators get DMs to work for only tips? What are DMs getting out of the deal (other the possibility of a tip)? Are they really willing to do all that work just for a 'free' boat ride?

Back
Top Bottom