Dive masters work for TIPS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulefeathers:
Ok Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn.:D

Ohh is that a "one"-armed joke? :wink: uni-corn - uni-arm?? :wink:

Michael

I would agree with seadoggirl, they do offer a valued service, and more, like good info on places to eat in the local area, diving in the local area, placed to go and see, known to locals. I don't mind having someone check my air, lug my tanks on board, moore up to a dive site, give us updated current conditions etc. A little tip goes a long way, When diving with a charter for a few days it's well worth the tip.Hell I even bought the capt, and DM lunch before the afternoon trip, which they had invited us to have lunch with them before going out again. The next day the capt was a diver, and believe me that dive seperate from the group, a private tour was well worth it. Also the happy Hour that night with the DM. We had a group of students on board, One student jumps in without a mask on, where's the instructor? Who was the first one in and assisting the student. Guess who ? The DM. We spend all this money on trips/charters, tip parking attentends, baggage carriers at airports, etc Why not the DM, who is there to make your trip and safty worth wild.

mwhities:
Funny thing, I can't! Only one-arm, how am I supposed to strike it?

:wink:

Michael

LOL! Sorry, pal. I didn't know. Okay: How 'bout if you hold the sandpapery side of the book of matches so that it's turned up, and I'll strike the match! I am nothing if not creative. :eyebrow:

Also could someone clear this up for me. I thought that the capt. of a boat couldn't leave the boat and preform duties of a DM, getting in and leaving the boat unattended. Is this a rule/law or just the operations of the charter service?

Fish_Whisperer:
LOL! Sorry, pal. I didn't know. Okay: How 'bout if you hold the sandpapery side of the book of matches so that it's turned up, and I'll strike the match! I am nothing if not creative. :eyebrow:

haha Sounds fun!

Michael

Reefraff2:
Also could someone clear this up for me. I thought that the capt. of a boat couldn't leave the boat and preform duties of a DM, getting in and leaving the boat unattended. Is this a rule/law or just the operations of the charter service?

My first boat dive, the captian was the DM, the first mate would dive down, tie into the wreck and come back up. She'd help everyone out that needed it and then the captian/DM would jump in and we'd follow him around or go about our business. We'd come back up, everyone would get in and helped by the first hand. Once everyone was settled in, she dive down untie the boat and we'd be off to te next dive site.

So even though this is a "tip the DM" thread, the DM got paid because he was the captain. I tipped the first mate only, as she busted her (__Y__) to help us out and have a great time on the boat.

Michael

mulefeathers:
I assumed you to be joking. If not I meant no offense. But anyway perhaps the best tip is to invest in oil!!

haha I am joking, around but, I do only have one-arm.

Don't make pull out my bad pic. :|

Michael

Newbie question here, but it's been mentioned in this thread that DMs often don't get paid and depend on tips. Does anyone know the history of this? How and why did that situation develop? It seems so strange that they aren't paid like a normal employee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom