Dive Master Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on the day, and it's true that it take a people person, not a good diver to be a DM...yes, you have to be agood diver..you know what I mean.

Sometimes I see student that I can't figure out how they even made it to the store w/o serious bodily harm comming to them-literaly some of the dumbest people I've ever met. THEN I run into students that (like said above) I can see the light go on. I know the moment it does for them. Their eyes get big and light up, they get these HUGE grins, etc., and I just think "Yeah, we got a diver here". Those are the ones that I file away so that when it starts to suck really bad, I can remember "this is why I want to do this"

Now, is it making me a better diver? I think so. I have all the skills down pat now and I feel much more comfortable leading a dive.

Sometimes I see student that I can't figure out how they even made it to the store w/o serious bodily harm comming to them-literaly some of the dumbest people I've ever met. THEN I run into students that (like said above) I can see the light go on. I know the moment it does for them. Their eyes get big and light up, they get these HUGE grins, etc., and I just think "Yeah, we got a diver here". Those are the ones that I file away so that when it starts to suck really bad, I can remember "this is why I want to do this"
norcaldiver is a born DM I bet...if you are a good teacher/mentor and this type of thing is rewarding to you, then DM is totally up your alley.

The mistake I made is thinking that I wanted to do DM because I like to dive. DMing is NOT diving, IMHO...it is underwater teaching/mentoring (and occasionally babysitting). Don't do it because you like to dive...do it because you like to help others and enjoy teaching..

DM course was probably my best course after may be the initial one. But it took me some time to change my psychology. As a part of the DM course I had to assist 3 OW checkouts. Doing that while everybody else (starting from the AOW students!) are going out on a boat to do the wreck diving was very tough. But something changed since then and I found an enjoyment in this part. But I agree with O-ring in that it quite depressing teaching/caring about divers that
not excited, don't really want to be there, have no interest in anything other than getting certified (why, I have no clue)
. But I guess there is always a fly in the ointment. As for logistics and handling the equipment - yeah, it is a hassle to do all the "behind the scenes" things instead of having fun, or showing yourself. But if you do all this things and do them promptly and right, you will see how students will look at you. Nothing goes unnoticed.
As for standing on the bottom I don't quite agree with the people saying that it is bad. The purpose of the exercises is to teach students various things, not only the buoyancy. I still remember myself - it was quite difficult (in OW) to stand on your knees and not to move anywhere in a wave action. Remember, the course time is limited. Hey, if you want to improve their buoyancy you can go over all the skills again, while they are also "diving" and not crawling. They will just benefit from that.

Wow that sounds really great! I think I'll go to my nearest PADI shop tonight and sign up for DM training!

The mapping project... take a section of a dive spot and map it. Compass headings, bottom topography, interesting sites, etc...

Its been a loong slow, process. I have learned alot.

Start practicing for your swims now. Unless you can do it already, 400m is a long way.

Intern as many classes as you can. Work under a variety of instructors. You will learn something from each of them. Even if all you learn is that there are different ways of doing EVERYTHING.

Best wishes to all of you who are starting out.

TwoBit

SubMariner once bubbled...

Actually the above AND about 20 other things are listed in the Instructor Manual as to what a DM needs to have in order to "meet performance requirements in confined and open water training" as well as for Knowledge Development.

Unfortunately, what you are focussing upon as an ommssion on the part of the AGENCY is actually one on the part of a particular INSTRUCTOR.

The learning curve is hard, but the rewards are worth it. Be positive. Be professional. And have FUN.

~SubMariner~

Well I was just pointing out that the Divemaster manual is not "The required course material" as it is in PADI courses to this point. My instructor did go over the material as lectures, but I can not tell you honestly that I would have passed the physics test on the first try without working independantly beyond the lecture. As with everything else I do in diving and life, I find the more I put in the more I get out.

Well I was just pointing out that the Divemaster manual is not "The required course material" as it is in PADI courses to this point

SG, I am becoming a little concerned with the questions you are asking. It is mandatory that a DMiT/DMC use the student DM manual. As with any student manual, there are Knowledge Reviews that must be completed, discussed, and remediated. They, along with the Exams, are all handed in to the Instructor to put into the DMC's student folder.

Another point: all PADI courses require independent study in some form. The amount of self-directed homework is usually on par with the training level; IOW, there is a lot of work at Leadership level (DM or above).

DM is a bit on the heavy side because this is the first level where divers are exposed to in-depth information on physics, physiology, etc.

As with everything else I do in diving and life, I find the more I put in the more I get out.

Right on!

~SubMariner~

Sorry, I was not asking a question. I was just pointing out that there would be more to buy than just the divemaster manuel for this course

It's interesting that most the folks above seem to focus on the DM's job of working with students or some kind of training.

I did my DM because I like working the boat, which actually means DM/mate most the time. I live in an area with LOTS of diving...the Keys. Although you can't make a living out of being a DM, there are a ton of jobs part time working the boats. Every trip requires at least a DM cert on board. Not only do I get to be out on the water socializing a lot, I dive for free anytime I want and get free fills (if I do them myself).

Now some benefits: No time on your knees in a pool with students. being a honcho for the dive briefings (like you know EVERYTHING!), being a hero when you do a rescue, calming a "vacation diver" who thanks you afterwards for a great dive experience, guiding folks and finding lots of critters they've never seen before (you know where they were the last time), giving people pointers on gear and dive skills that are really meaningful, and most important the high-fiving with fun folks on the trip out and the trip back.

Some negatives: Putting up with instructors who think they are dive gods, the jerks that push every suggestion about the dive profile to the limit or more, the folks that demand every service and never consider a tip, the long hours before everyone arrives and after they leave while you clean the boat and handle the rental gear, diving when you're half sick and should be home in bed.

I'm a DM because I just plain like "the dive thing", whatever that may be.....guess I'm just hooked. However, I would never consider DM training that doesn't give you a bunch of dive boat experience. Unless, of course, you just want additional training or it's a necessary step to becoming an instructor. Where I live the DM is a well defined job, not to be confused with instructing or assisting in the instruction (not that you can't or won't be involved occasionally).

Besides, when it's slow in the off-season all us folks associated with the business go out together and dive for fun a lot......no tourists allowed!

IMHO, just be sure you get the training emphasis that will support the reason you are becoming a DM. There's a lot of ways to teach the basic course requirements.....look for the extras that will support your future expectations of diving interests.

I read most of the threads here and can relate to some of them. I enjoyed the DM course, it was hard work, but I learned a lot. I decided to take my DM through an indpendant PADI instructor opposed to hooking up with a LDS. Therefore I don't spend every weekend out with students and can get plenty of time in diving with buddies. I work with plenty of mutants in my real job so some of potential student problems don't bother me. It's fun to watch people progress with their skills and see their faces after their first open water dive. That makes it all worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom