Dive Master Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
Wow, there have been a lot of interesting comments on this thread since I last saw it. I think one of the general trends is that there a lot of people out there that know sweet FA about what they are talking about regarding this topic. Im sorry if this offends anyone, but taking a DM course doesnt quallify anyone to comment on how it should be taught.

Until you have taught your first thirty or fourty divemasters, you probably shouldnt be commenting on this thread. or it should be moved to I2I.

PADI's reccommended course hours is 50 for the Divemaster.

For all of you that are confusing how long it takes to read the book, take the exams, do the swims, draw the map etc with how long it takes to become a seasoned professional, take a good look at any dive course.

The course is designed to give you the basic skills and knowledge for that particular level.

Can you do the course in a week or ten days? SURE YOU CAN

Can you become a professional Divemaster in a week to ten days H*ll NO

The more internship you can get with real students and divers the better, but as James Goddard and Christi pointed out dont expect to get 4 weeks all you can dive buffet for $400. The closest I can do is $500 for 50 or so dives, and another $500 for the course.

If you already have the dives, great, take the course
if you dont have the dives, go get them then take the course,

or take the course and get them during the course,

or take the course and get them after the course.

you choose what kind of divemaster you want to be.

Personally I think they should dumb down the divemaster course, make it into DIVEGUIDE, take away all the teaching from it, make the Assistant Instructor course a separate entity rather than the consolation proze for failing an IE, that would give us more time to train real instructors during the IDC.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it and am happy to discuss it with anyone that knows what they are talking about.

I couldn't agree with you more on just about everything you said!

I haven't certified 40 or 50 DM's yet, myself only 6 in the last three years (obviously local dive shops and bigger training centers get more DM candidates). Each has been a very rewarding experience and I have learned better ways of doing things each time as well as learning a few things from my students as well.

I REALLY like your idea about a different structure for the DM/AI/OWSI path. As it is right now, an AI is not much more than a DM.

I also tritto your "dive buffet" comment. The dives I include are included as part of the internship, this does not mean you get on the boat a "fun dive" everyday during your course. I do work out special rates for DM candidates during their course for extra dives.

Thanks Mark for your excellent post on this topic!

cancun mark:
Personally I think they should dumb down the divemaster course, make it into DIVEGUIDE, take away all the teaching from it, make the Assistant Instructor course a separate entity rather than the consolation proze for failing an IE, that would give us more time to train real instructors during the IDC.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it and am happy to discuss it with anyone that knows what they are talking about.
Now now! remember when the DM was that and the AI was Allowed to teach a limited class portion not discover scuba? Owsi was a 10 day course with a proper exam at the end ummmm but I am old and well gray:) and fat now

Christi:
I couldn't agree with you more on just about everything you said!

I REALLY like your idea about a different structure for the DM/AI/OWSI path. As it is right now, an AI is not much more than a DM.

Thanks Mark for your excellent post on this topic!

My pleasure, I have been working on that opinion since the 1995 revision of PADI programs, so I guess I have had more DMC's and more time to think about it than most.

Now if only I could get Drew Richardson to take me on as a personal executive advisor like I suggested to him last year I could finally make it happen.

How did you guys fare through Ivan the terrible? I haven't heard from anyone over in Cancun, but it looked like you guys got hit alot harder than we did according to satellite pictures!

I hope everyone there is ok!

Christi:
How did you guys fare through Ivan the terrible? I haven't heard from anyone over in Cancun, but it looked like you guys got hit alot harder than we did according to satellite pictures!!

Yeah, it looked like we were going to get hammered, and if Ivan had gone 100 miles more west, we would have, but as fate had it we didnt even gett more than a stiff breeze. No tree damage, no flooding nothing except some big waves and some beach erosion.

Talk about luck, we have now been missed by Mitch, Keith, Isadore and Ivan.

When I replied to this thread originally; I was under the impression that he was going to Coz for a vacation and wanted to do the DM thing at the same time. I DID NOT mean to imply that my way was the only way, I just wanted to share my experience which was a very positive one. To any who were offended: my sincere apologies.

mike@compmore.net

Thanks for clearing that up. Presently I'm Advanced Open Water. I'm looking for a good place to get my DM in about 10 days, in the Caribbean, in mid December. But I've got no pro diving ambitions. Can you suggest a place? I've been to Cozumel, liked it, Belize (so-so), Honduras (hmm).
Thanks,

James

cancun mark:
I think there is a little bit of conflicting information here.

The PADI DM course curriculum can easily be completed in ten days.

Becoming a Divemaster and earning the experience, jugement and learning the job, is a completely different thing.

If you want the card for bragging rights, take a quick course pass the exams, do the swims, draw the map and you have the hat.

You want to work as a DM, become an instructor or develop a dive career, cristi's estimate of at least a month is more like it. I personally ave a stack of DM/Instructor candidates that come here for months at a time and take a go pro program that teaches both the curriculum, AND the job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom