Dive masks with purge valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then again I also don't get what photography or moustaches have to do with purge valves either

A moustache lets in a continual dribble of water. With a purge valve I only have to exhale through my nose to get rid of it. I don't have to use my hands at all to manipulate the mask. A photographer typically has both hands full so same reason.

Is "stroke" a put down? Not familiar with the term.

Did someone say STROKE? You'll never become Top Gun with an attitude like that!
me.jpg

La la la la la...
Snapshot319-02-20127-20PM.png

Here are some purge masks
046.jpg

If one is interested in diving masks, and how they evolved, I wrote an article about them here:
The Evolution of the Modern Diving Mask - manfish.ca The adventure of Grassroots Canadian Diving

From the article:

The Purg(able) Mask
Another evolutionary development that was quite common for decades but has fallen by the way side in recent years was the inclusion of a purge valve near the nose for clearing water from the mask. To the left are a few masks of this design.
The first example of this adaptation appeared in the U.S. Divers catalog in 1962 using the model name Equi-Purge .

Most designs incorporated a simple one way mushroom valve over an orifice similar to that used by many purging snorkels and, just like the snorkel, the mechanism eventually proved to be unnecessary. To the right are some examples of purge valve equipped masks.

For many years divers could choose to use one of two techniques for mask clearing: either cracking the lower mask/face seal on a non-purge mask and exhaling, or exhaling through a purge valve equipped mask.
With the lessening of mask volumes and the complexity and failure potential of purge valves, the first method eventually won out as the preferred design option.

Last edited:
I got a mask with a purge valve way back when. It worked OK at first but had a tendency to not seal well and get crud in it, which leaked worse, and so I went back to a regular mask. At that time there were no "space age" plastics, so they may work a lot better now, but I haven't got the inclination to try one.

Hey, when I was a kid I tried out the snorkel with the ball on top, but it didn't take long before I cut the GD thing off. Haven't tried that again either.

I wouldn't use the term stroke, some people have to find out for themselves. If it is not life threatening I will wait for the ensuing hijinks, otherwise I will state my opinion before I leave.

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

A moustache lets in a continual dribble of water. With a purge valve I only have to exhale through my nose to get rid of it. I don't have to use my hands at all to manipulate the mask. A photographer typically has both hands full so same reason.

Thanks... But the photographer comment made earlier was about purge masks that vent to the sides

I think the trend has been towards low volume and ultra low volume masks and these don't leave much room for a purge. The low volume aspect does make it easier to clear your mask though and by moving the lens closer to the face it tends to give you a wider field of view.

As for the stroke part, what's really cool are those magnets you can use to wipe away the condensation. Those and neoprene pads that fit over the strap. I'm going to add those to my own mask as soon as I figure out how to keep it from flooding.
2743302_orig.jpg

…Then again I also don't get what photography or moustaches have to do with purge valves either

Photographers, especially macro, can spend a lot of time positioning and waiting for a shot. Tilting their head enough to clear their mask can scare away their subject. Nose-down is the most frequent position with many subjects and cameras.

I got a mask with a purge valve way back when. It worked OK at first but had a tendency to not seal well and get crud in it, which leaked worse, and so I went back to a regular mask. At that time there were no "space age" plastics, so they may work a lot better now, but I haven't got the inclination to try one.

Hey, when I was a kid I tried out the snorkel with the ball on top, but it didn't take long before I cut the GD thing off. Haven't tried that again either.

I wouldn't use the term stroke, some people have to find out for themselves. If it is not life threatening I will wait for the ensuing hijinks, otherwise I will state my opinion before I leave.

Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

A good deal of the fun of diving to me is experimenting with different gear. I'm not a big fan of either purge valves or dry snorkels, but I've tried them both. I'm sure I'll try out a few more gimmicks before I die and will probably enjoy doing it too and every now and then I find something that surprises me.

I have bifocal lenses in my mask. I also have a purge.

I have zero trouble pinching the nose when I wish to clear that way.

Some days in cold water I will get a bit more fog then usual on the lens. Just crack the mask and exhale. No need to tilt head. Convenient when I am hunting around the bottom or I don't want to take my eyes off something.

My backup mask happens not to be a purge mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom