• Big Blue

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Tusa

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I was thinking bright is because I do quite a bit of night diving. I'm not sure what to go with because I do a little bit of everything. I live in the Boston area and around here I'm doing a lot of colder and murky diving (which I don't really need anything too crazy for) as well as diving at night (which as you said, a bright narrow light would probably be best), but I am also ALWAYS traveling down to the Caribbean for work, and many other tropical locations around the world doing night dives as well.

For traveling, for tropical night diving where the water is clearer and where you also do day dives IMHO the Mb-sub X1-VB is hard to beat. A little pricey but the quality is amazing. The light comes in two configurations using either 3xC cells of 3xAAs. It has a variable beam from 3degrees which is great for day use looking under ledges etc, to 25degrees which in clear water at night is great. Its lumen value is 250 but puts out 19,000lux in 3 degree mode which is pretty powerful. Remember too much light simply scares everything that you are trying see away. I have also used this light when lake diving in NZ where the water is pretty murky and again in 3degree mode cut through the murk pretty well, a little brighter would have made it perfect. They also make a 700lumen light which is very nice but the beam angle is around 12degrees in clear water its great but its a little wide if the vis is low.

Take a look at Light-4-Me lights they have some interesting offerings with good specs at very reasonable prices. In the US they are sold through Tec Dive Gear, Ive had a couple of conversations with the owner he seems like a nice guy.

Now if most or your diving is in murky water, where you are not looking specifically for marine life and where the ability to signal your buddies etc is required, then of course narrow and brighter is better.

Just for info take a look at, Mb-Sub, Light Monkey, Light-4-Me, TillyTec, they are all in the upper price range but all make great lights. I have used Intova and DiveRite lights, they are nice lights and relatively cheap but not the lumen output you are looking at.

Good Luck.

Anyone know anything about Wisedive.com ????.....Their site lists some led handhelds w/2300-3300 lumen......

Anyone know anything about Wisedive.com ????.....Their site lists some led handhelds w/2300-3300 lumen......

I dont think this light is intended for diving, there is some small print at the bottom of the adv. I did see a smaller dive light on their site but I believe it was not as powerful.

If you search my posts, I asked a similar question 2 years ago. One of the response came across as condescending and I thought he didn't know my needs when he told me to just get a can light and save my money and headaches.

You know what? He is right.

If you search my posts, I asked a similar question 2 years ago. One of the response came across as condescending and I thought he didn't know my needs when he told me to just get a can light and save my money and headaches.

You know what? He is right.

I assume you are talking about MB-Sub?

Sometimes Michael can come across a little gruff I think some is this is language, he knows what he is talking about and always wants customers to buy best product for their needs. What light did you end up buying? Id love to get the VB-50 but a little out of my budget.

If you're talking about Tec Dive Gear, Sebastian, (light4me) I think the above also applies.

And if you're talking about me I apologize it would have not been my intention to be condescending.

Oh no worries that person and I are friends now.

I ended up buying "tech gear", a light monkey 20amp battery canister and the UTD vision led light head. But personally I don't consider them tech or recreational. It's the same light I use in all my dives, both for illumination and for communications; night or day, tech or recreational dives :)

On a recent dive travel adventure in clear tropical water, we found our lights to be too bright. Most night dives were done with my fingers over the lense to diffuse the light. The tropical fish were not impressed by our bright LED lights. None of our lights were brighter than 250 lumens, and they were too bright.

Adjustable beam lights, or lights with a high, medium and low intensity setting work well. High intensity, narrower beam works great during the day to look under ledges. A wide angle lower intensity beam worked best at night.

I always carry a very bright narrow focus beamed light as a back up for signaling or just in case the water becomes turbid.

In cold water and lower visibility, I carry lights with higher intensity, narrower focus beams.

I can highly recommend the Watershot Stryker Lights. VERY compact, lightweight, and a great beam in the water.
100M dive light kit

On a recent dive travel adventure in clear tropical water, we found our lights to be too bright. Most night dives were done with my fingers over the lense to diffuse the light. The tropical fish were not impressed by our bright LED lights. None of our lights were brighter than 250 lumens, and they were too bright.

Adjustable beam lights, or lights with a high, medium and low intensity setting work well. High intensity, narrower beam works great during the day to look under ledges. A wide angle lower intensity beam worked best at night.

I always carry a very bright narrow focus beamed light as a back up for signaling or just in case the water becomes turbid.

In cold water and lower visibility, I carry lights with higher intensity, narrower focus beams.

100% agree which is why I like the X1-VB at 25degrees its not too bright, has a nice spread and doesn't send nocturnal sea life running for cover. I never understood why people bring super powerful lights on tropical night dives all they do is turn the site into a ghost town. Less is indeed often more.

Back
Top Bottom