Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Retention sheathes are a big deal, too. We were doing water rescue training last night at the Fire Dept and lost two knives because there was no retention mechanism on the sheathes.

I run a blunt tip knife inverted on my left shoulder strap, and a 6 pack of trauma shears tucked into various spots around my rig. One thing i won't do is mount them anywhere near my weight pockets because the big plastic loops on the trauma shears feel a lot like the big plastic loops on the ditch mechanism and dropping a third of my weight while looking for shears is not making the situation better.

Mostly I've used my cutting devices to rescue marine creatures caught up in ghost fishing equipment. Hate to see crabs tangled up in fishing line. There's nets caught on most wrecks.

Me, and my honker. I agree about retention. I use an Aqualung US divers, and I double bungee the knife to the sheath on my leg. Also, I make sure the sheath is hard plastic, and not fabric so I don't end up stabbing myself.

Attachments

• BB1AFB6E-F3DF-4F7D-910E-BC81BE7AC660.jpeg
    BB1AFB6E-F3DF-4F7D-910E-BC81BE7AC660.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 62
The fact that you are with a DM does not affect whether you should carry a cutting device. Stuff happens.
When I got caught in a monofilament line while drifting it felt very weird.

I suddenly started slowing down before to move a bit backwards and then ended up being immobile and then I realised I was entangled and was moving nowhere.

Clear monofilament line is virtually invisible underwater until you are next to it or holding it.

By the time my buddy noticed what happened and came back I already had sorted myself out and cut the line.

OP, like @Damselfish said: it is not obvious to me that a buddy/DM will find you if you get entangled in low vis with current.

I carry a line cutter on each computer strap. When I go Great Lakes wreck diving, I add shears. They’re the only thing that will cut steel fishing line leader. I’ve seen a hundred feet of that on a wreck.

I have done most of my dives with dive ops in Florida and the Caribbean, and all of those with at least one DM or guide.
I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
I'm curious. Wasn't this covered in your OW course? I seem to recall this being discussed in my OW courses, and there was a strong recommendation to always carry some sort of diver tool.

I have a small knife that I sometimes carry, but I almost always have a pair of EMT shears and a line cutter on my computer wrist strap. Had to cut an entanglement twice, but I have cut a lot of fishing line wrapped around the reef.

I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
I have no objection to anybody carrying anything that makes them feel more comfortable on a dive (though a teddy bear would get a little soggy). How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?
Always. Because you never know when a self defense scenario will manifest. I don't know you, your son and your mental history what if your schizophrenia erupts on the dive and you decide to engage in mixed martial arts combat during the dive?

Also, actually lines are out there lurking to entangle you, so be prepared with a cutting device. Be prepared for the risks, don't just hope your guide is a hero.

$75? I'd be too nervous to take it out of the sheath. It also needs a bottle opener.
They used to be a lot cheaper, like $35.00. Of course have you seen the price of some small knives now? Check out what a Scubapro knife will set you back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom