Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife wears a big knife on her calf, for fear of sharks. It's not to stab the shark, it's to stab her dive buddy so she can swim after to get away. I'm currently looking for a new dive buddy. :)

šŸ¤£ šŸ˜‚ šŸ¤£ šŸ˜‚

My wife wears a big knife on her calf, for fear of sharks. It's not to stab the shark, it's to stab her dive buddy so she can swim faster to get away. I'm currently looking for a new dive buddy. :)

Pony_Bottle_with_feelings.JPG

I carry a Trilobyte on my wrist, one on my harness and another cutting tool inside my notes and have seen multiple times monofilament line on the top of wrecks.

I got entangled in such a line that I couldnā€™t see when the current picked up this year and it literally stopped me as I was drifting.

I always carry a cutting device (Boker cop tool). not only for diving, but cutting limes after the dive for adult beverages they may require them....

Two or three Trilobites, one on each computer and one on the waist belt. A Remora knife in a pocket.

Fishing line is an ever present risk on wrecks. Trilobites are superb for cutting through line and netting. For thick rope the Remora is really effective.

I consider cutting devices as utterly essential kit. Wouldnā€™t consider diving without them.

Massive swords strapped to a leg are just plain silly.

Many divers have some kind of cutting tool. You will likely always see a DM and Instructors with a knife (cutting tool), SMB and reel, and compass as those are required equipment for those jobs and we just go into the water with them all the time. The cutting tools mostly end up cutting fishing line, but are great to have if a diver gets entangled. The SMB and compass are self explanatory. My as well add that a signal mirror is a great thing to keep in a BC pocket if ocean diving.

I'd be too nervous to take it out of the sheath

I'll never forget my dive buddy showing off the brand new major name titanium knife he had just purchased (big $$), and the look on his face after that same day on the first dive with it when he came up without it...

I carry 3 cutters; trauma shears, trilobite, and small knife. I use the cutters mainly for fishing line. Retrieving hooks and cleaning up line at local shore dive sites has been the reason for usage. The other is cutting wildlife, crabs mainly, free from fishing line entanglements. One immature Puget Sound King Crab and numerous Dungeness and Red Rock crabs has found freedom at my hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom