Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trilobyte on my waist belt, folding serrated Spyderco in a pocket. I've never had the occasion to use either one.

....Recently I was on a boat out of Jupiter, FL and I counted at least four divers with knives,
Jupiter is my home port. The four divers you saw were probably on the discounted multi-trip card program and dive Jupiter ALOT. Probably each of them had steel tanks also. Glad you enjoyed our reefs !!

I used to have four knives. Havings to fly to most dive destinations or cruise ships, I carry my bp/w, regs, computers, etc., in carry on luggage, preferring to leave everything configured to avoid forgetting equipment. Unfortunately, the TSA took a dim view of the knife I forgot to remove from my harness, so now I have three knives that live in my closet, and carry only shears and a trilobite.

I used to have four knives. Havings to fly to most dive destinations or cruise ships, I carry my bp/w, regs, computers, etc., in carry on luggage, preferring to leave everything configured to avoid forgetting equipment. Unfortunately, the TSA took a dim view of the knife I forgot to remove from my harness, so now I have three knives that live in my closet, and carry only shears and a trilobite.

I take mind out and tape them up with painters tape. Holders stay on bc and blade in checked.

I carry at least two of each, one for each side of my body:

1. Line Cutter

2. Shears

3. Smaller knives

Only one of Tool knife on the inside of my left calf.

I can't remember the last time I dove without a shears/line cutter/knife. For me the worst danger u/w is getting stuck/tangled in a line, net or any thing that prevents me from ascending or leaving the bottom. I had to help others to get out of nets and fishing lines and I do NOT want to be in their situation ever. I dive with others including DM's but I dive with them as if I am diving alone, not depending on anybody else to bail me out of any difficult situation.

I have a set of the tools on my left side and another set on my right side just in case one of my hands is stuck and can't use it so I can use my other free hand to access the tools set on the other side of my body.

If a dive destination is constipated about having knives u/w, I get away with line cutters and shears put in my BC or tools pockets. I don't care where in the world I am diving, even if no fishing lines or net there, there may be marine life that can "snag" you and delay your ascent and I am not taking chances.

Always have trauma shears on me when diving at the mim. Even if they say you can not…

I always dive with a Wenoka dive knife that I wear on my leg, and can handle with one hand (it has a special locking mechanism that is spring-loaded and secures the knife when it is placed into the sheath. I dive Oregon rivers a lot, and there is a lot of fishing line in the rivers. Entanglement is always a hazard, and I have used this knife almost every dive, either to remove lures from the bottom or to cut fishing line. One time I had to cut a heavier line that was used by river rescue people to throw a line across the river, and they lost it. I sharpen my knife so that it always has a good cutting edge. It also has a serrated edge for use with larger lines and things.

SeaRat

I always dive with a Wenoka dive knife that I wear on my leg, and can handle with one hand (it has a special locking mechanism that is spring-loaded and secures the knife when it is placed into the sheath. I dive Oregon rivers a lot, and there is a lot of fishing line in the rivers. Entanglement is always a hazard, and I have used this knife almost every dive, either to remove lures from the bottom or to cut fishing line. One time I had to cut a heavier line that was used by river rescue people to throw a line across the river, and they lost it. I sharpen my knife so that it always has a good cutting edge. It also has a serrated edge for use with larger lines and things.

SeaRat
@John C. Ratliff: Time stamp 01:33 min:sec. That's the same Wenoka I have!

@Painter: John's video suggests another use for a dive knife: My old MI dive buddies who dive the Detroit River (very strong river currents) use their very old-school BFK's to dig into the bottom to hold against, or pull against, the current. Of course, their BFK's are much more massive than the Wenoka that John shows in this video.

rx7diver

Carry two knifes / cutters at all times, used them a couple of times now including to un tangle myself from fishing line. As most say better to have and not need it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom