Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 blunt tip titanium knife on inside left calf I can reach with either hand. 1 ceramic trilobite on waistband of bc than I can reach with either hand. I use my knife to prod at shells I believe to be uninhabited because I can't seem to find any other use for it.

I don't need a knife with a long blade but it has to had a nice handle. So far the ones I found good solid handles have long blades so that's what I have, I suppose it qualifies as a BFK, I'm ok with that. I also have shears and/or the line cutters depending on the mood

knife 1.jpg
knife 3.jpg

The one on the left with green/yellow I found, the one on the right all black was a birthday gift. Both are good have the right handle and good weight to them.

I should add that i don't really use charters but if i was to go on one tomorrow and is not forbidden I'd use one of those two.

I don’t do professionally guided dives, but I will always carry at least a knife and EMT shears on every dive, unless expressly prohibited by the site. I’ve only seen a prohibition at one inland protected site. There were’t any entanglement hazards, so not a problem.

If I were to dive with a guide, I’d still want to carry my usual gear. In the rare instance it’s needed, I‘d rather be prepared than hope the guide is.

I always carry an Eezycut on my harness. Never had to use it to free myself from entanglement, but I have used it a few times to cut fishing line to clean up garbage and remove hazards underwater. It costs almost nothing, takes up almost no space, and requires almost no maintenance, so I fail to see a downside.
Same here except trauma shears instead of an eezycut. I used to carry a short, blunt-tip knife instead, but it was a hassle figuring out the local knife carrying rules before every trip. It turns out that it's easier to cut line with the shears anyway. And it's nearly as handy above water.

as i am sure many will echo.....it may depend where you dive.

i always have a line cutter and usually have a small knife as well.

i know divers in our area that dive the great lakes ship wrecks that also carry shears that will cut metal lines.

if diving with a buddy i would say you should have one cutting device of some type between the two of you.

if solo, you may want two that can be reached with either hand.

it is one of those things that may not get used but if you were diving solo and get caught in fishing line in near zero viz on a wreck, you will wish you had one.

Another vote for shears (EMT style trauma shears).

Virtually free (by dive equipment price standards), will cut through just about anything with much less effort than any knife. Also, you really can't injure yourself or your gear with them like you can with a knife, especially if you are in an entanglement situation and are working fast. Very useful for all sorts of topside work as well.

Trilobite is a good backup, strap it to the inside of your computer bracelet.

Knife is good if you are spearfishing or something.

... How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?
I "always" carry a fixed-blade dive knife that has a smooth blade, a line cutter, and a serrated blade. I learned to dive here in the Midwest (in MO). Here, fishing line is a real hazard. You often won't notice it until you're hung up in it--whether skin-diving or scuba diving.

Also, the right dive knife can be used as a signaling device, or as a prying tool, or for several other reasons, too.

I regard a dive knife as a critical piece of gear.

Clean it thoroughly apres-dive (remove the shank/blade from the handle, and wash everything, including the sheath, thoroughly in fresh water) to keep things healthy.

P.S. Steel fishing leader requires something more--like EMS sheers.

rx7diver

I carry a Trilobyte and a small, blunt edge knife on every dive. I've only had to use the knife a couple of times to cut something and both times were topside.

My wife wears a big knife on her calf, for fear of sharks. It's not to stab the shark, it's to stab her dive buddy so she can swim faster to get away. I'm currently looking for a new dive buddy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom