Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other day I was cleaning my RB at Ginnie Springs. Some drunk guy walks up and says "you got a dive knife? Somebody has there foot stuck in their Croc and it's cutting off there circulation". I handed him my shears witch handily cut the shoe in half. How might that have gone had I given him a BFK?
I had to read the part in quotes a couple times to make sense of it. I even used both definitions of "Croc", and it still didn't make sense. How in the world does someone get their foot caught in a Croc to the point that it's cutting off circulation?

Absolutely, in this situation, the shears were a better choice. Though if it were the other type of croc, the BFK would have been a bit more useful.

This is truly an odd thread. As long as what I choose to wear doesn't put anyone else at risk, then who cares. Personally, I carry both shears and a knife. I used to have a Fog cutter knife that sort of did both, but lost that somewhere. The knife is maybe a bit smaller than a BFK, but getting there. I strap it to the inside of my right calf. It's not in the way, but there if I need it. Shears are attached to my BC shoulder strap. On most of my dives, both of them remain securely stored. I've used both on a few occasions. It all depends on the types of dives you do and what you are likely to encounter.

Where I dive, fishing line, anchor line, and crab trap lines are probably most likely. The shears will work well on the fishing line, but may not be ideal depending on thickness of the anchor or trap line. Serrated edge of the knife will handle that.

I had to read the part in quotes a couple times to make sense of it. I even used both definitions of "Croc", and it still didn't make sense. How in the world does someone get their foot caught in a Croc to the point that it's cutting off circulation?

Absolutely, in this situation, the shears were a better choice. Though if it were the other type of croc, the BFK would have been a bit more useful.

This is truly an odd thread. As long as what I choose to wear doesn't put anyone else at risk, then who cares. Personally, I carry both shears and a knife. I used to have a Fog cutter knife that sort of did both, but lost that somewhere. The knife is maybe a bit smaller than a BFK, but getting there. I strap it to the inside of my right calf. It's not in the way, but there if I need it. Shears are attached to my BC shoulder strap. On most of my dives, both of them remain securely stored. I've used both on a few occasions. It all depends on the types of dives you do and what you are likely to encounter.

Where I dive, fishing line, anchor line, and crab trap lines are probably most likely. The shears will work well on the fishing line, but may not be ideal depending on thickness of the anchor or trap line. Serrated edge of the knife will handle that.

I can see some drunk bozo jamming his size 12 foot into a size 9 croc and then being unable to get it off.

Just use your head.

I was diving the house reef where I was staying in the Philippines when I had a bit of a revelation. My maximum depth was about 30 feet in an area where I couldn't get lost and there was no possibility of entanglement. I was diving an AL 80, but I was not planning to be in the water for more than a half hour before getting too bored to stay (muck diving). It occurred to me that the following pieces of equipment were unnecessary for that dive: computer, spg, any sort of timing device, light, knife, any other cutting tool. All I really needed was tank, regulator, mask, and fins. Oh, and some sort of clothing to keep me from being arrested when I left the water.

In contrast, on tech dives I bring all sorts of equipment with all sorts of redundancies, usually wearing a drysuit.

Bring whatever you might need for the intended dive, and if it's critical, bring at least two.

I can see some drunk bozo jamming his size 12 foot into a size 9 croc and then being unable to get it off.
A few years ago I discovered that Crocs can shrink surprisingly rapidly when left out in the hot sun.

Yeah, I thought about that. I've got a pair of crocs I keep near the back door. My wife borrows them from time to time. So, occasionally I'll steal hers. Size differences are close enough to your example. Maybe need more alcohol intake, but I've been thus far unable to jam my feet far enough to get stuck.
A few years ago I discovered that Crocs can shrink surprisingly rapidly when left out in the hot sun.
Hmm. That's a possibility. Real crocs or knockoffs? My backdoor crocs live outside. Not quite full sun, but enough. They haven't shrank to the point where I've noticed any size reduction, and they've been outside in FL weather for a couple years now.

But, if you've seen it happen, it could be plausible. Maybe got a bit too close to the heat from a fire.

Hmm. That's a possibility. Real crocs or knockoffs? My backdoor crocs live outside. Not quite full sun, but enough. They haven't shrank to the point where I've noticed any size reduction, and they've been outside in FL weather for a couple years now.

But, if you've seen it happen, it could be plausible. Maybe got a bit too close to the heat from a fire.
Mine happened in 100°+ heat, full sun, in New Mexico. I had to throw them away. Yes, they were real Crocs--not knock offs.

I find that a Trilobite/line cutter is by far the most effective cutter for things that will fit into it's opening (line, webbing, fabric, etc.). For the things that it doesn't work on, my trauma shears are more effective than a knife for the majority of what is left. But, there are few things that only a knife will do. I carry all 3 (but a smaller knife, not a BFK).

I suppose there are things that only a BFK will do. I take my chances with those.

I have SCUBA'd and snorkeled in assorted rivers, ponds, lakes, springs, drain pipes, canals and oceans both here in America and in Europe since 1967 or so. I've dove a few wrecks but not many because I think they're sad. I've dove a few caves but found them boring. I dove some "bad places" but moved past that. I've been entangled in fishing lines, fishing nets, etc.

But in all honesty, I have only ever used my Big Friggin' knife once while diving. I was about seventeen and making money doing light salvage work on boats sunken in marinas after a storm. Boats would get swamped or damaged and sink in their berths in the marinas. Boat owners would pay my partner and I to go down, get inside the boat and save whatever they were paying us to bring up. Jewelry, firearms, electronics, duffel bags of sumptin', etc.

Sometimes, it was so easy we would delay in the cabins just to make the boat owner think they got their money worth. Sometimes it wasn't so easy. Only ten or twenty feet deep but dirty water, dark interiors, crap floating all over the place, sometimes on their sides, etc. One big cruiser was just sort of floating on the bottom and it moved around easy.

My partner and I had found what the owner wanted and were heading back out of the interior when the friggin' boat rolled over onto it's side. (We found out afterwards that the owner had cut a line holding it to the dock!) A door had closed and jammed in the frame. My partner got his fins against the wall and pulled the handle so hard, it ripped right out. I pulled out my BFK and used it like a prybar to get the door open.

I pried that door right out of the frame and we got out. No, our lives were not really in danger because we could have gotten out thru a deck hatch or a window but that meant going back into that now really silted up interior looking for it. Yeah, a screwdriver or pry bar would have worked as well if not better but what I had was my knife. And no, we didn't tell the owner that we destroyed the door in his yacht!

Carry whatever you want or need for the situation at hand. A knife is a tool. No one tool will do it all. That's why I carry a little knife, a big knife and a line cutter. Besides, I only have to wear one ankle weight.

As a reformed spearo myself, the lust for a Johnson SMG never fades. I've seen and held the single barrel version, but never the quad barrel, nor the double barrel. That gun is to die for.
I own 2 and have almost all the parts for a third, plus ammo

Attachments

• 20240301_194931.jpg
    20240301_194931.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 29
There also used to be a speargun made on a similar principle, though it actually used a spear as opposed to a dart. Johnson SMG (SubMarine Gun) was from the '60s. Occasionally, one may pop up for sale, but it's been a while since I've last seen one for sale.

It essentially used a spear pressed into a bullet casing.

Here's one that showed up on Pawn Stars several years ago.

But, the use of firearms for lionfish is primarily a gimmick. There really is no need as they feel they are invincible, so it's not problem to get real close.
I own 2 and need parts to finish a third

Attachments

• 20240301_194931.jpg
    20240301_194931.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 26
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom