Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had to cut fishing line enough times to carry 2 cutting tools , guided dive or not, I was caught up in fishing line early this year on wreck where fishing is not allowed , https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/164524/ex-hmas-brisbane-bw.pdf
Heavy line and large hook , a local told me it is fished at night.
This and a trilobite, the Mares version on my waist belt.
20201115_073311.jpg

Anyone who is old enough to remember Sea Hunt will know, Russian spies can show up at any time and will go straight for your reg hose. Be safe out there.
But, fortunately, they always go for the exhaust hose.

That is why we don't see them much any more. With single hose regulators the norm now, they don't know what to cut.

If your dive knife is bigger than your guide's, then you get to lead. Just so you know! :D :D :D

I have done most of my dives with dive ops in Florida and the Caribbean, and all of those with at least one DM or guide.
I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
Recently I was on a boat out of Jupiter, FL and I counted at least four divers with knives, one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.
I have no objection to anybody carrying anything that makes them feel more comfortable on a dive (though a teddy bear would get a little soggy). How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?
This reminds me of the concealed carry argument.....you either carry one & mind your own business. Or you do the opposite, you CHOOSE not to carry --- but still insist on telling others' that they are wrong for doing so.

For most dives, a knife can be useful to have, or any cutting tool, but should be stowed properly. I carry a small aqualung knife. Sometimes, like when I go "Ghost Diving", I will carry a larger knife.

P.s. Ghost diving is a non profit org where technical divers volunteer to remove lost fishing gear and other marine debris from the seas, before you get the wrong idea :D

The divers who do not carry a knife or some kind of cutting instrument, are the same people who don't have a spare tire in their car, no first aid kit in the house, no spare car key, no fire extinguisher in the kitchen, no extra tank valve orings and no common sense! They're also usually the first ones to yell for help!

The excuse of "well, I have never had a need for a knife" is ridiculous. That's like saying "well, I've never had a need before for a reserve parachute so I think I'll just leave it on the ground". If you need it, it's to late to wish for one!

I have a small knife on the front of my BC (Horse collar yeehaw!) with a line cutter strapped next to it. Then I have a full sized knife strapped to the inside of my calf. (If it frightens you, stop looking at my legs!!!)

If a diver does not carry a knife, fine. I don't care in the slightest degree. I'll keep my opinions to myself at the time. Even if I do think it's stupid, ill advised, Pollyannish, poorly trained, ignorant of the dangers, etc. etc.

Don't worry though. If I see you wrapped up in that old anchor hawser whittling away at it with your wimpy little line cutter, I'll use my humongous scary big friggin' knife to cut you free!

Don't worry though. If I see you wrapped up in that old anchor hawser whittling away at it with your wimpy little line cutter, I'll use my humongous scary big friggin' knife to cut you free!
There are two things I do not expect to encounter on 99.35% of my dives:
  1. entangling old anchor hawser
  2. you

I have plenty of room in my BC pocket for my small knife. Haven't had to use it in 1K dives, but I guess no one on a charter boat would figure it's in the pocket anyway.

There are two things I do not expect to encounter on 99.35% of my dives:
  1. entangling old anchor hawser
  2. you
Oh I wouldn't even go that high on the odds. But what happens if the odds go against you? After all, the House always wins in the end. I skydive and will always carry a Reserve Canopy even though the odds of loosing a Main Canopy are very slim nowadays. I run my Rat Rod Trail Rail into some very inhospitable areas in the Desert Southwest and will always carry two things: Plenty of water and at least two firearms because some times, bad stuff happens!

I don't SCUBA dive into "bad areas" anymore or as deep as I used to or even as often as I used too. However, I will continue to strap my Big Friggin' Knife to my calf because I can't see the future. I figure it's better to have and not need than to need and not have. And yes, I have actually used my BFK before to pry open a door in a sunken boat that drifted closed and got stuck after I went thru it. A line cutter or shears would not have cut it for that. (Pun intended)

Carry one or not. It makes no difference to me. But what really bothers me, is that many new divers peruse this forum. They're looking for guidance and information. They want to know about this regulator or that BCD, fins, etc. etc. etc. They want to know about emergency stuff, SMB's, flares and oh my gosh: Knives! Then they read all this mess about yes or no and it's really just stupid.

Comments here have ranged from belittling to almost anger. "Don't wear a BFK because everybody on the dive boat will laugh at you. The DM's get angry. I won't dive with anybody wearing a BFK". Good grief! What exactly is the problem with somebody wearing a Big Friggin' Knife?

Back
Top Bottom