Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just use your head.

I was diving the house reef where I was staying in the Philippines when I had a bit of a revelation. My maximum depth was about 30 feet in an area where I couldn't get lost and there was no possibility of entanglement. I was diving an AL 80, but I was not planning to be in the water for more than a half hour before getting too bored to stay (muck diving). It occurred to me that the following pieces of equipment were unnecessary for that dive: computer, spg, any sort of timing device, light, knife, any other cutting tool. All I really needed was tank, regulator, mask, and fins. Oh, and some sort of clothing to keep me from being arrested when I left the water.

In contrast, on tech dives I bring all sorts of equipment with all sorts of redundancies, usually wearing a drysuit.

Bring whatever you might need for the intended dive, and if it's critical, bring at least two.
But did you have a J-valve?

But did you have a J-valve?
Nah, not necessary when you are always just an easy CESA from the surface.

You’d give anything for a cutting device if you become entangled in netting, fish line, electrical cord, etc …
I am guessing you are referring to my post in which I mentioned dives on which I did not need any of those things. Read it carefully and you will see that I was speaking of the specifics of a particular kind of dive, a dive which would not have any possibility of becoming :entangled in netting, fish line, electrical cord, etc."

At the end I wrote, "Bring whatever you might need for the intended dive, and if it's critical, bring at least two." When I dive in less benign environments, I bring at least two cutting tools, but there are dives where they are not necessary.

I would suggest that, at a minimum, one should take diving whatever he/she would take snorkeling/skin-diving. This would include a dive knife that has a built-in line cutter, a signaling device (whistle and/or mirror), and a compass (maybe).

Don't forget the snorkel. And the weight tbelt.

rx7diver

These days I have ceramic line cutter attached to my BCD. Never rusts and will cut everything but an anchor line an electric cord (haven’t been entangled in one of those yet).

I was was caught a couple of times by overzealous fisherman, freed countless times fish from traps and ghost nets- was caught by one too.

So for me, there is always a line cutter and EMT scissors- these are really good for cutting mesh wire fish traps like the ones in attached pics

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpg
    IMG_5545.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37

Back
Top Bottom