Dive knives ... attaching to you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, this may be a "newbie" thing to ask ... but how would you know you're going to need it in an emergency in advance? Is it always obvious that there will definitely NOT be any way you'll get tangled?

You never know, carry two

I'm not a fan of the "big knife on the leg" thing. If you are tangled, chances are you won't be able to reach your leg. In fact, it may be the big knife on your leg that got you tangled in the first place (wouldn't that be ironic :) ). I keep a small knife fron and center on the waist strap of my harness, a z-knife fastened to the triglide on my right shoulder d-ring, and I am planning to add some shears to my drysuit pocket. The dummy cords and everything else are just as likely, if not more likely, to get you tangled than to help you.

Thanks so much for all this great advice! I actually have shears too. So I may go down with both ... IF THE ENVIRONMENT WOULD REQUIRE IT! :)

My cutting tools:

One of 10 inches total that was formerly a kitchen knife on my left inside thigh, sitting in a modified nylon holder strapped with bungee cords. That thing is sharp enough to cut glass.

Two EMT scissors, one in the waist pouch, one in the right drysuit pocket.

Should be enough

If you don't need it, leave it.
If you need it, take 2. I am an open water diver. I have 3 cutting tools.
Avoid the coily things.

I was entangled once, by myself, where I cut myself free. (In hind sight, I may have been able to remove my rig and untangle) All I could think was "God, don't let me drop the knife."

BTW, my mom gave me a bang stick when I was a kid. She worried about sharks and giant squid. I carried it on the family boat.

If you look at the old photo I use as my Avatar you'll see my old monster (Sea Hunt era) US Divers leg knife. Gave it away long ago, as it was heavy and in the way. Now I have two much smaller attached to my BCD harness straps within easy reach. They come in handy often on land but never have NEEDED a knife in a real emergency. Still, I subscribe to the old west advice: "better to have a gun (or in this case, knife) and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

I was wondering, other than having the dive knife attached to you (or to your BC) while diving, do you do anything EXTRA to make sure that once you take it out of the holder, that it's still "attached" to you?

My question comes from a discussion of this with my Mom (who is not a diver, but I think she's pretty smart! :D ) who asked, what if you're tangled, and you take out the knife, and then accidentally drop it out of reach?

Anyone take an extra precaution to insure that this scenario doesn't happen?

I think your mom is smart too! Take her diving with you! :D

Actually, anything you wear can get tangled. Not wearing a knife because you think it will add to an entanglement is like a cowboy coming to a gunfight without a pistol 'cause he's afraid he'll shoot himself. Wear your knife in such a way that it reduces the chances of entanglement but allows you to access it easily without needing to look for it.

As soon as you notice that you are tangled, you need to realize that you don't want any extra movements that will get you further tangled (common sense). Everyone is different and I like to have a wrist cord or lanyard attached to my knife. The reason is that if you can accidently drop one knife, there's a chance you could also drop a second knife. What if you're in a rough environment and getting rolled by surge? What if you're panicked (obviously not good) and fumble as you pull the knife out?

Anytime I'm about to pull out my knife (infrequent), I always loop my wrist through the lanyard. Now if I need two hands to do something, I can drop the knife knowing it's attached to my wrist, then quickly get it back in my hand to use again without the problem of putting it back in the sheath again (just remember you have a sharp instrument dangling from your wrist). I tuck the lanyard tightly into the sheath when it's not used so it does not dangle loosely.

I caution against the thinking that you do not need to take a knife if you don't think that you will need it on a certain dive. The unexpected circumstance may just happen when you least expect it. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it. Don't assume everything will go as planned, that kind of thinking can hurt you... and listen to your mom!

dd

Once upon a time we all had a U.S. Divers Sea Hawk strapped to our leg, it was great, especially if you broke you leg and needed a splint, with two rubber straps you were set.

Today I carry a bunch of "knives," and only my BC knife (neat little dooby with a square tip) is actually a knife. I also have a tool with a big handle, heavy pommel, short serrated blade, square tip and a built in line cutter, a little plastic line cutter and at least two pair of paramedic shears. Everything has a wrist strap so that before I use it I can slip a loop over my hand and if I loose my grip the tool is not gone. I don't always take all, but I always have two paramedic shears.

I think your mom is smart too! Take her diving with you! :D

Actually, anything you wear can get tangled. Not wearing a knife because you think it will add to an entanglement is like a cowboy coming to a gunfight without a pistol 'cause he's afraid he'll shoot himself. Wear your knife in such a way that it reduces the chances of entanglement but allows you to access it easily without needing to look for it.

As soon as you notice that you are tangled, you need to realize that you don't want any extra movements that will get you further tangled (common sense). Everyone is different and I like to have a wrist cord or lanyard attached to my knife. The reason is that if you can accidently drop one knife, there's a chance you could also drop a second knife. What if you're in a rough environment and getting rolled by surge? What if you're panicked (obviously not good) and fumble as you pull the knife out?

Anytime I'm about to pull out my knife (infrequent), I always loop my wrist through the lanyard. Now if I need two hands to do something, I can drop the knife knowing it's attached to my wrist, then quickly get it back in my hand to use again without the problem of putting it back in the sheath again (just remember you have a sharp instrument dangling from your wrist). I tuck the lanyard tightly into the sheath when it's not used so it does not dangle loosely.

I caution against the thinking that you do not need to take a knife if you don't think that you will need it on a certain dive. The unexpected circumstance may just happen when you least expect it. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it. Don't assume everything will go as planned, that kind of thinking can hurt you... and listen to your mom!

dd

I agree with your last paragraph but didnt know how to only partially quote...In addition I think its a good idea to always carry the same equipment(unless wholly inappropriate) in the same places for all dives that way I think you get used to your equipment and in an emergency, which is always unplanned, you dont have to fumble for your equipement or even worse you dont go "o sh.t I left that in my bag today wish id brought it now...". Thats what I try to do anyway.:wink:

Ok, this may be a "newbie" thing to ask ... but how would you know you're going to need it in an emergency in advance? Is it always obvious that there will definitely NOT be any way you'll get tangled?

Take two ... now that's a good thought!! Thanks!!

and here's the perfect place to carry extras........
967.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom