Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For people who dive locally, is dive insurance such as DAN or PADI necessary? I understand that BC medical insurance covers dive related incidents.

Daryl Morse:
For people who dive locally, is dive insurance such as DAN or PADI necessary? I understand that BC medical insurance covers dive related incidents.

I will always have dive insurance! In California the costs for emergency transportation and recompression are astronomical. For a measly $100 a year with DAN you get a great coverage program and a magazine subscription. There are other plans that cost less though and are more than enough for some people. Shop around and find what works for you. I do highly recomend having insurance though.

Hello

Have you looked into the B.C Health care insurance to see if it carrys coverage out of country ? For diving. I've never looked.

It does pay to have insurance just for diving. Certains things will never be covered by our health care but is apart of the plan you would recieve.

As an example replacement on dive gear lost or stolen while you are diving. Flight cost to a chamber while diving in Cuba. So it does makes good sense to have it.

Cheers
Derek :sunny

If you have a dive accedent here in BC you are covered by BC MediCare. Transport, chamber ride, etc. are covered. If you are diving outside of BC then it's a real good idea to have some sort of insurence like DAN. If you are diving in the states and you get bent you are basicly screwed as medivacing you to a chamber and going for a round of treatments, as well as accomidations and if you need any-one flown into where you are can get up into the tens of thousands of dollars. I know of a couple of people that have had dive accedents in the states on vacation and it's costed them over thirty thousand dollars to get the treatments that they needed. They were covered with DAN that picked up the whole tab. Oh and gear isn't covered if it's lost either, unless you're covered with something like DAN insurence. So it really isn't a that bad of an idea to have it.

Get it! DAN PADI or whoever's plan just get it if you dive. The Up side saves thousands and I mean thousands of dollars in expenses, it is inexpensive, most organizations offer more support than just the insurance. The down side, huge medical, tranportation, rehabilitation bills. The up side of the down side you'll save $100.

Unless you are traveling or you can afford to replace gear at will then it is not needed here as you are covered completley by our health care.

All medical and whatever transportation to a chamber here will be covered.

Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom