Dive Insurance...What is really covered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is really upsetting, but all these insurance companies are scamming us. They are in business because we allow it. Wake up America.............

I know this is probably in poor taste, but since your friend has made "significant improvement" and you've alerted us to the so-called DAN scam (thank you for that btw) would you be willing or would he/she be willing to explain what happened during the dives that caused him/her to get a Type II DCS hit?

Maybe a group letter writing campaign is in order. We can threaten to drop DAN for an alternate insurance. Christi, what insurance do you use for dive related issues? Is there a dive operators association on Cozumel that might address these DAN issues via a letter to DAN?

I would like to hear DAN's comments on the case.

Why not PM one of the moderators with the details and the patient's name etc so that SB can officially ask DAN to answer the criticism that is being posted and seen by thousands of members?
I believe that the patient would also have to authorise DAN to publicly comment the case as there are medical details involved which DAN would otherwise have an obligation not to comment.

solo_diver:
I know this is probably in poor taste, but since your friend has made "significant improvement" and you've alerted us to the so-called DAN scam (thank you for that btw) would you be willing or would he/she be willing to explain what happened during the dives that caused him/her to get a Type II DCS hit?

See original post.

I will tell you that dehydration was the most probable culprit. The day he arrived, he was signed up for an afternoon dive with another shop because I didn't have space (not the other shops fault for his hit of course). He did ONE dive, very conservative profile, Santa Rosa Wall, 70 ft max, 42 minutes (included safety stop). Within 30 minutes of his dive, he was severely dizzy, cold sweats, tingling in his toes, no strength, and a vicious cycle of vomiting. They took him back to his hotel and his symptoms progressed over the next hour to include significant loss of motor skills, severe nystagma (eyes darting back and forth) incresingly weaker, continued and worsening dizziness and vomiting. I called to see what time he and his wife wanted to meet up for dinner and she told me what was going on. I dropped what I was doing and by the time I got there, he barely knew where he was. He could barely walk on his own and he barely knew where he was. He was put on an IV for the dehydration and so they cuold medicate him for the nausea caused by the dizziness. He started recompression treatment right away and improved everyday through the five treatments. That's the short version :)

See original post

cushdiver:
Christi, what insurance do you use for dive related issues?

I use Dive Assure now. They are slightly higher, but have higher policy limits.
www.diveassure.com

Thanks Christi:

Please keep us informed. One too many horror stories of DAN for me. I think I'm doing some investigating when the insurance is due.

What happened anyway :( This sounds like a pretty serious hit.

Christi:
I use Dive Assure now. They are slightly higher, but have higher policy limits and promise to honor the policy as it is written when/if needed.

www.diveassure.com

Morning Christi. Yeah, they all PROMISE to deliver but what is the reality? Promises will not get you treatment. Does this refusal have anything to do with Cozumel?

A buddy of mine had as experience with Dive Safe, and has switched back to Dan. Dan helped him when he was not a memeber and Dive Safe was not available for a phone consultation. Dan also contacted the Hospital before we got there, and followed up. All for someone who was not a member.

While I can not comment on the specifics of Chritis friend, I hope DAN will comment.

Christ, which facilty did your friend go too? The DAN one or the other one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom