Dive Insurance...What is really covered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am going to keep this to a very generic warning. Don't "dive naked." Make sure you have plenty of insurance coverage for everything, including diving, whether it be with DAN, Dive Assure, PADI, or whatever company you are comfortable with.

As a warning, be prepared to pick up a hefty portion of the costs and don't rely completely on any insurance company to cover medical expenses, regardless of the policy limits or coverage limits stated in the policy. The powers that be may not agree to medical treatment and they will make you fight for it at least.

Yea that is not right, I hope your friend gets better soon. For some reason it seems like insurance company's in general do this. I think this is their way of preventing any Dr. to get them for all they got. My mother is a biller for hospitals, and they bill the insurance company for a certain amount, and pretty much just accept what they get back. I can see that with DAN, but the expense should never go back to the diver. That is a shame, I would fight them on that. Good Luck!!

Christi:
So when did the insurance company become the treating physician as well?
Since the advent of HMOs.

Sorry about your friend.

Sorry about your friend. It would be great if someone from DAN could comment here... As a new DAN member I am all of a sudden concerned!

see my original post

Christi:
Trust me, this Dr.'s fees are definitely reasonable and customary. They are about $100 an hour less than the other chamber on teh island and about $300 an hour less than other Caribbean chambers. He is more concerned with the patient than the $$ and decreased his rates due to the ongoing problems with DAN...and they are STILL having trouble getting paid what's owed.
Go get a lawyer and have them contact Dan. I bet they will change their tune.

Can you please post definitive information backing up your claim to a Scam.
It would help many here that are members of DAN, and insured by them.
I find this very interesting, as I started a thread about DAN and their insurance, and got over 100 replies, mostly all positive.http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86292
Thanks for bringing this into the light.
David

...Feeling better about using DiveAssure....

All the best, James

It only took us a year and a half and a threat of a complaint to the state insurance commission to get DAN to pay a claim. I guess you can call that good service, but I wouldn't.

In my opinion the company DAN has managing their claims is seriously out to lunch and is at odds with the standards DAN is supposed to represent.

Makes me feel good that although I have DAN insurance I expect to never have to use it. So far in 43 years I've avoided the need. Sad to hear that treatment determined necessary by the attending doctor is not being accepted by DAN. Those on the front lines should make the medical decisions.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom