Dive Insurance for japan residents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soldave:
I think you can get O2 in Okinawa, even outside the military bases. And although you can't get Nitrox mixes off base, that's nothing to do with DAN really.

And it's definately the case that DAN Europe insurance covers European citizens wherever they are in the world (I remember calling them asking about it when I was shopping for diving, and later, liability insurance in Japan) :)

Geoff - I'm really surprised you were refused as DAN Europe happily accepted me when I explained the situation to them.

O2 is available in Okinawa quite easily as is Nitrox off base if you know who to ask. There are at least 3 shops that supply it and 02 for rebreathers and deco gas.

Geoff_H:
Perhaps we shoul contact DAN Europe again and get some clarification!
Thanks for that - very interested to know what they say. See if it matches up with what I have below or if they have different policies.

Here is the response I got from DAN USA
Thanks for your interest in DAN! I have received your email request
regarding DAN Japan membership. Unfortunately, you are not able to get
dive accident insurance with DAN America, because you live outside of
our covered territory. DAN Japan is the correct branch you need to
obtain insurance from.
What I am worried about is that Insurance companies generally don't like to pay out if they can avoid it, and a breach of contract or even a 'technicality' is often enough to void a claim. Would be terrible to fight a legal battle while at the same time recovering from an accident!

Just to add to the fun, I sent off a mail to info@danasiapacific.org
I just copied Geoff's mail and changed it to Kiwi. Curious to see if we'll get the same response...

soldave:
Also see if you can download a copy of their insurance policy and read it. That's the surefire way of checking what is and isn't allowed.

Yep, that’s true. and different underwriters may have different rules. So it could be entirely plausible that DAN Europe is more flexible than the other regions. Lets see what the results are from our enquiries.

I tried to get a copy of the policy schedule but couldn't find it on their site. Neither could I find their membership rules.

I am sure it will be the same as your printed version though, and that clearly states it covers citizens of countries covered by DAN Europe.

My guess remains the same, that they have internal policies on it which have been mis-applied in some cases, as there is a clear inconsistency in the answers you were given and I was given. Maybe it has something to do with certification level and instructors treated differently to recreational divers...... I dunno!

:bananalama:

The DAN Europe policy is downloadable from their website. You can get it from here:

https://www.daneurope.org/fdw/policy/terms_of_insurance.pdf

To confirm though, it does say this on the DAN Americas website:

"DAN America membership and dive accident insurance are available to residents of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and 44 other countries in Central and South America and the Caribbean"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom