Dive Insurance for japan residents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mushroom King

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Can anyone tell me their experiences or opinions about what dive insurance to have while living in Japan?

It looks like if you join DAN its 5000 yen a year and some insurance is included. And PADI offers a plan at 1000yen a month. Get one or the other? or both? or is there a better option?

any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

My wife found me something through a Japanese company. It seems quite good and included my camera stuff etc. I'll ask her about it later and post a link or something. It'll all be in Japanese though so I hope you can either read it yourself or have someone who can....

Includes the camera, that sounds like a great deal.

I have Dan Japan. They are more costly than the states in that they don't offer a family plan. I really haven't compared the coverage.

NAUI insurance has become popular. Since I have that for my instructional insurance, I might switch over to that.

Yes, please post the link if you can kim.

Do you have to be NAUI to qualify for thier plans?

BTW Japanese is fine

Thanks

jagfish:
AIU...imagine that...I had no idea. I think our car insurance is with them...
Yes...they do all kinds of general insurance. Somewhere in there there's one for diving as well. It's not bad. I don't remember all the details but it covered accidents, losses, all sorts. I got it the first time I went to Thailand on a liveaboard, but it's not just for that - it's general all round diving insurance.

I called up DAN USA and they told me that citizen ship does not matter, its residence. As a resident of Japan I am only able to get DAN Japan -- or so they said.
They explained that if I moved to another region, DAN would cover me until it expired, then I would have to go though whatever country I was living in at that time (again, based on your legal resident status)

Hmmm...

The Mushroom King:
I called up DAN USA and they told me that citizen ship does not matter, its residence. As a resident of Japan I am only able to get DAN Japan -- or so they said.
They explained that if I moved to another region, DAN would cover me until it expired, then I would have to go though whatever country I was living in at that time (again, based on your legal resident status)

Hmmm...
That's what I understood as well. It would be a bummer to have them refuse to pay out if something happened and they realized that you were resident somewhere else! :eyebrow:
DAN Japan sucks IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom