Dive House - Scuba Du

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Senor, there is so much of you that you need your own DM"

Not sure if there is any way of sugarcoating that. It's easy to lie about a current to a newbie, but how do you tell them you're charging double because they're so fat? I wonder if Scuba Du has any ex-Southwest flight attendants as DMs?

LOL.

To answer your question -

Probably the same way all Mexican dive masters discretely sugar coat and avoid confrontation, probably no differently then how they make up a plausible excuse about current or viz or something else stopping them from going to a dive site that they don't believe the diver is experienced enough to do after watching them dive a couple of times.

"Your last dives were 2 years ago? maybe a private dive master would be a good idea..."

"You are diving with your wife and she's nervous about diving, maybe a private dive master would be a good idea to dive with you both..."

"You like taking a camera... maybe a private dive master would be a good idea.. Pedro is excellent at finding things.. what would you like to see..."

"Your last dives were 2 years ago? maybe a private dive master would be a good idea..."
Actually, they require an entire refresher course if that's the case.

"f you have not dove in the past 12 months, a preliminary beach dive is required. If you have not been on a dive in 18 months a Refresher Course is strongly encouraged. If you have not been on a dive in 24 months or more, a Refresher Course is required."

Thank you for the replies.

That would be true about the not knowing any better!

I have a 10 and 12 year old and a wife so during this portion of my life, easy and convenient is great. That said, at 50+ dives lifetime, 70% in Cozumel, I do like to stay away from the newbies. Dive House is great about that.

Every year I have taken a refresher in the states. Last year a Diamond Reef buoyancy course. This year that was booked. So the idea of a shore dive/refresh is great. And I hear the shore dive off Presidente is great.

I don't think I can play it by ear as it's carnival and busy. Perhaps I'll on or two with both. Scuba Du and it's schedule or dives is nice as you pick your site. But I love that Dive House decides on the boat. And you can pick the DM's brain on what is better that time of year.

I don't think I can play it by ear as it's carnival and busy. Perhaps I'll on or two with both. Scuba Du and it's schedule or dives is nice as you pick your site. But I love that Dive House decides on the boat. And you can pick the DM's brain on what is better that time of year.
You might be surprised to know that Dive House and Scuba Du are not the only two dive ops in Cozumel.

Settle down Francis.

Just looking for advice.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 12:31 AM ----------

Probably the wrong format to ask this question. Thanks for the posts. I think I have my answer. I'm on quite a few newsgroups for my day job. Idiot responses like that. Condescending, I'm better than you, doesn't fly in the higher end groups.

Mistake to join.

Last edited by a moderator:
Settle down Francis.

Just looking for advice.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 12:31 AM ----------

Probably the wrong format to ask this question. Thanks for the posts. I think I have my answer. I'm on quite a few newsgroups for my day job. Idiot responses like that. Condescending, I'm better than you, doesn't fly in the higher end groups.

Mistake to join.

[youtubehq]0OnpkDWbeJs[/youtubehq]

Take it easy on Moss. He is in charge of sarcasm. Of course that is no excuse to denigrate our entire group. And it seems a little condescending to say condescending doesn't fly in a higher end groups?

And I want my money back. I thought Scubaboard was the high end, biggest, bestest, top notch... er... scuba board out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done cvchief.

Top 10 movies ever!

How about this; I work an 80 hour week, love to dive, going on vacation with the family, not sure who to dive with, and thought I would post here for advice.

If you want to rip on my lack of Cozumel dive company knowledge, don't bother, that's why I posted this thread in the first place.

It's been a long time since I stayed at the Presidente. I dove most of the time with Dive House, which picked me up right there at the Presidente dock. My wife, who was not a diver then, did the resort course with Scuba Du and I did some afternoon dives with them to go out on the boat with her. It was a pretty good operation, but I did not care for the set schedule. They had a standard schedule of which sites they would dive each day. I generally preferred Dive House and definitely preferred having the crew pick sites based on the group, its preferences, and the conditions. It depends on your preferences. If the convenience of the on-site dive operation is important to you and you don't mind the set schedule, you may be happy with Scuba Du. If you like Dive House and want to stick with the familiar, Dive House can pick you up at the Presidente. I now dive with Aldora. They, along with lots of other shops, could also pick you up at the Presidente.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicely done cvchief.

Top 10 movies ever!

How about this; I work an 80 hour week, love to dive, going on vacation with the family, not sure who to dive with, and thought I would post here for advice.

If you want to rip on my lack of Cozumel dive company knowledge, don't bother, that's why I posted this thread in the first place.

Thanks. Moss does sarcasm; I do movie clips....

Seriously though, Moss is making a valid point. I don't know a thing about Dive House except I see pretty big boats with a fair amount of people on them. Maybe a six pack too? I would 'assume' they make cattleboat status. I certainly could be wrong.

Scubadu: I know of them. They are at the Presidente, so they can't be all bad. You know, like, Presidente, oh la la and all? And I really like the people who own ScubaDu, they are very nice, but I don't actually know much about their diving.

Now staying at the Presidente, you can have your choice of dive ops really. The hotel is at the mouth of Caleta and EVERYONE drive by there going to the sites.

Some of us, Moss included, like a small op, different ones but in the same style. Alot of one boat, so you are on with the same DM and Captain. I know with my op it is more like diving with family. I know them, they know me. Heck, half the divers on the boat ALL the time are regulars. To me it is more personal than getting assigned to boat 5 for the week. Everyone has their things that keep them where they are. Some of mine for Scuba with Alison are:
1. Keeps my gear, except wetsuit. (Which I don't use, so all good.)
2. Big boat with plenty of shade.
3. Fastest dive boat.
4. One group only on boat.
5. DM is owner and very safety oriented.
6. Captain is terrific.
7. Like diving with family.

I could go on. That's the thing too, in Coz many of these smaller ops have dedicated cheerleader that ra-ra them all the time. Tells you they are doing something right. A look through the threads you will see similar names popping up.

On the other hand, some big ops with segregated boats appeal to people.

Just so many good choices.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

"Regulars" on this forum might try to be more thoughtful and helpful to newcomers. They come looking for a simple answer to what they think a simple question since they have dived in Cozumel little, if at all.

Instead, if they don't get the Spanish Inquisition, their thread gets dragged off topic with discussions about urination habits, potty training, or other inanities. Some of the comments would best be taken to PM as they are of NO interest to the rest of the board (it's not a chat room).

What some regulars are thinking is funny is perceived by these newcomers as unfriendly, unwelcoming, and condescending. The board's owner wants this to be a friendly place. So consider this a plea about the importance of being helpful to forum newcomers, not hijacking their threads, and staying on topic. But it should be considered a warning as well since mods have been getting a number of complaints lately about the forum's tone and the need to address it. I would rather not have to take more aggressive moderation steps but those tools do exist. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom