Dive Haven Georgia Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

still have the boat,not sure yet about diving the 16th,will prob make it. Anyone else up for a dive,it should be quiet on the lake now,vis should pick up at shallower depths.

IT's a little too expensive at Dive Haven for me; especially being a quarry. Fills are $8, and entrance is $25. Am I the only one, or does that seem a little steep? It is nice to have that deep of a dive though.

No, I agree that $25.00 is a little steep too. But I still pay it from time to time just for the convinience of it being close.

Jeremy

What are the depths like at dive Haven? I can't find any information on the depths. Specifically, at what depths are the physical objects (platforms, automobiles, dead bodies, etc.).

fndmylove:
What are the depths like at dive Haven? I can't find any information on the depths. Specifically, at what depths are the physical objects (platforms, automobiles, dead bodies, etc.).

They've done an excellent job with multiple dive platforms, both above and below water, at various depths: 15, 30, etc.

We found a crane (ran into it at about 35-40 feet, perhaps 50 degrees, couple hundred feet, off the main dive platform... didn't follow it as far down as it goes, however. We also found a car laying on it's hood, against a wall, about 20 feet down just above a road directly across the quarry from the platforms (we didn't shoot any headings or accurate distances... perhaps next time).

Someone at the beginning of this thread says a van has been sunk as well...

They've been *very* active making improvements, and upgrading the diving facilities, much to their credit. I wouldn't mind seeing some paddlefish added to the marine bill of materials... (they're good for the viz)...

Oh... the depths... runs from shallow to about 160 feet, or so... Have only been down about 70 feet...

Where the danger at Dive Haven lies is the 160' depths. The quarry for the most part has the walls that drop strait down to 160'. I know a lot of local instructors that will NOT take any OW student to Dive Haven. The platforms are suspended in mid-water over the 160' bottom. Imagine if an OW student fell off that platform...next stop 160'!!! The instructors say it's just too dangerous and too big of a liability risk.

Make sense but I'm not an instructor either. Just be careful out there and you will have a great wall dive.

IlikeItwetPls:
IT's a little too expensive at Dive Haven for me; especially being a quarry. Fills are $8, and entrance is $25. Am I the only one, or does that seem a little steep? It is nice to have that deep of a dive though.
Where else can you dive cheaper around the Atlanta area? Beside Lake Lanier? What do you think is a fair price? What do you spend on a dive? Look at the cost of a Florida trip or another quarry. I think Dive Haven is a good valve. After investing a lot of money on equipment, 25 bucks is not going to bust me. Talk about prices look at some of the LDS prices around Atlanta.The location is close to me so that makes it a good choice for me.
The draw back I find is finding a buddy to dive with at Dive Haven. I have spent several hours trying to buddy up at Dive Haven. So I find myself having to dive some where else alone. And in the long run paying more than the 25 bucks for a dive.

Just for reference . . . the upside-down auto, red and of General Motors make, is on a 270 degree heading from the shovel and lies at 20-25'.

the K

FYI:
The Van has a marker and is between the two "docks" at a depth of 58' (marked by a buoy)

The Crane is at the northernmost point in the quarry and is also marked by a buoy. the boom starts at 12' and the crane sits at about 48'.

I talked to the owners yesterday, they do plan on building a training dock on the west end of the quarry. That way students that havent learened proper bouyancy control in the pool,or haven't learned to use their inflators will not plung immmediately to 2000' feet and die a miserable death :)

They also have started a puch card 10 days of diving for $200. (less than a movie,popcorn,drink)

They showed me their water tests from UGA yesterday: they have a 3.1. Recreational lakes need to be below 125. That means the waters at Dive Haven borders on drinking water with a coule of exceptions: baby diapers,feminine sanitary products,human feces have not had to be filtered out, and there is no chlorine or flouride added. (Too bad for some of the people that need flouride in the H20).

Check the water reports just below the dam at Lanier :

Look at those numbers YUK!!! lets going diving there!

This is not a rant, just to inform those of you that have been led astry by some of the negative comments of SOME local dive shops and instructors....

Another guest at Dive Haven yesterday made a very good point....

If Instructors/Dive Shops take you the Dive Haven for your checkout dives, they miss the opportunity to take their OW students to Florida...
What does this mean.....a trip to Dive Haven with your instructor will cost you about $100.

A trip to Florida: well gas for you and the instructor, their hotel,food,etc. Not to mention the boat trip, spring entrance fee, etc.

Oh yeah, Dive Haven has instruction as well: Includes entrance to the quarry,rental gear(black diamond bc's,cobra computers,apexs regulators, etc.)

Quit whining people....If you want to whine about something whine about the price of a Starbucks coffee and 6 gallons of gas=$25.00

By the way how much should a fill cost...last I checked a 9cfm compressor was about $9000.00 plus $50.00 filter changes 2x a week......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom