Dive gloves in Coz issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Coz, and there was no problem wearing gloves. Just don't go touching stuff and nobody will care. In fact if you dive the wreck, it may be a good idea to have some because when the current is strong, you may need the protection from jagged edges. If you want to wear gloves, wear them. I did.
:guitar:

Spectre once bubbled...

Hey... lets ban fins and make everyone go in bare feet while we're at it... that way they can't kick the reef either. Oh.. but then they'll land on it and be protected by their neoprene. Guess it's diving naked... that'll teach them bouyancy!

Exactly!!!!! I want to dive with Spectre's group.

The people who would wear gloves are those that have enough experience to know that you get cold after four hours in 80 degree water. They also have enough experience to control buoyancy, and stay off the reef. The people I have seen do the most damage are in dive skins, walking on the reef. They are not thinking about what they touch with their bare hands. Nor are the thinking about wearing gloves.

Me, I wear gloves and a hood down there. Definitely wear gloves on the wreck. The mooring line where you make your safety stop is very nasty.

I leave the knife at home.

Latter we can talk about the damage some people do in the pursuit of a picture.....

leadweight once bubbled...
I don't own a pair of gloves. That should say volumes.

That you've opted not to dive in the vast majority of the water on the face of the earth where it would get very uncomfortable without them very quickly. That's a lot of stuff you'll never see in warm water!

I don't always wear them, but I do always have them.

Did a night dive in Roaten last year and all these little jellies congregated around the light on the boat while we were down.

Not much of a sting, but so many there was no way to avaoid at least a few hits.

The concept of exposure protection is a completely different matter than what the "rules" are trying to obtain. It once again goes back to diver education & training, and as long as there are heads to be put in the beds at resorts, I doubt that's ever going to change.

Lawman once bubbled...
in the Cozumel jail
ain't got nobody
to go our bail
so here we'll stay
cause we can't pay
just send our mail
to the Cozumel jail....

:guitar: :band: :band2:

You must be nearly as old as I am to remember that song...

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

...Those are the guys that come crashing down on top of you our get too close to you and shove you into the side of a wall. It happens and even the best diver cannot control others.

I had a guy pass me in a swimthrough on Santa Rosa Wall a couple of years back. He just came barreling through under me; he pinned me against the overhead and my tank got hung. No real prob; a couple of deep breaths and repeats of the "don't panic" mantra, and I got free, but he was damn lucky I followed the "no knives" rule on that dive. <insert smiley>

ggunn once bubbled...

I had a guy pass me in a swimthrough on Santa Rosa Wall a couple of years back. He just came barreling through under me; he pinned me against the overhead and my tank got hung. No real prob; a couple of deep breaths and repeats of the "don't panic" mantra, and I got free, but he was damn lucky I followed the "no knives" rule on that dive. <insert smiley>

Guess everybody has a story from there! About ten years ago, we were on our first dive of the day on the third or fourth day of the trip. A new guy joined the boat. Surfer type kid. Ran around on deck like a cocker spaniel looking for a place to piddle on the ride out.

You could tell he was going to be a problem. Can’t remember the site, but something like the pillars, or the grotto? Bunch of real nice sand bottom swim throughs down toward the south end of the island. Same thing~ running over and around everybody. Just plain rude!

Then we swam out onto the wall, and went to about 75’. This guy started bouncing up and down like a Yo-yo between 90 & 65. All I could think of was: If this guy gets bent and we don’t get our second dive in, he’s not going to survive long enough to get to the chamber, because I’m going to kill him!

Good Lord! If there is any place on the earth to relax and take your time diving, Cozumel is it.

Come to think of it, on that trip we wore an abrasion glove on almost every dive, but don’t know if the rule was in effect back then or not.

It was still in vogue to feed the fish after your lunch between dives back then. Heard they’ve stopped that, though. Is that correct? Personally, never thought that was a good idea to begin with.

Hi all,
Dove all of Coz's sites over the years, and have yet to find a need for a knife. I know my training says always bring one, but your diving with DM supervision, and typically they watch pretty well. So no knife.

Gloves? Well, unless your really succeptable to the cold, gloves aren't really needed. No gloves basically keep honest people honest. If you plan on touching things that you shouldn't, and getting the oils from your hands on the coral (and killing them), then yuor gonna do it. But if you respect the environment, control your bouyency, then you only should wear gloves for thermal protection.

I'm a cold water diver (Monterey, Ca.) and have a 7mm suit and dry suits, but don't feel the need for gloves in Coz.

So if your cold - more power to ya, put 'em on. If your afraid of touching things, practice bouyancy and hover well over objects, it's a very pretty place.

Good luck and happy diving.

Needed? Maybe not (sometimes I wear gloves somtimes I don't)but I will always have them and some form of cutting device on me just in case. To used to diving where there are many things to get caught in/on.:mean:

On my last trip to CZM we dove a wreck and the divemaster asked where was my gloves? I told him that I thought we could not have gloves. He said to always have gloves to use in case you need them, just don't wear them in the park. He had an extra pair he let me use. As it turned out, we made a deco stop on the mooring rope and I was sure glad that he loaned me those gloves. On the next trip my gloves will be in the bag. Now I am not advocating this, but a small knife in a BC pocket may not be noticed by anyone. I say this because I forgot and left a knife in my pocket during the entire 10 dives of that trip.

dnhill

Toward the end of the first week on Coz 2 yrs ago. Simply because I was down a quart in core temp and I was trying to stay warm anyway I could. :wink: Now then,,I stay off the reef with hands and fins, but that aside, no one gave me the stink eye. :angel: I never felt the need to dive with a knife though. I am not saying it is frowned upon but did notice a very few other divers with knives strapped on and they were not hasseled either. I dived with Dressel that year. Just my 2 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom