Dive gloves in Coz issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it doesn't hurt to follow their rules over something
as trivial as this.

When you drift dive there you fold your arms and sail
with the current. You don't crash into things even on
swimthrus.

If you break their rules the dive operator will tell you
to go elsewhere.

Relax a little.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

It has been reread...I appreciate the criticism, but my viewpoint is unchanged. I have an opinion...several of you disagree....get over it and let's go dive.

Its not your opinion. Its your attitude thats the problem. There's a big difference.

Lawman once bubbled...
it doesn't hurt to follow their rules over something
as trivial as this.

In reality, it is likely that I would just suck it up and deal. If push came to shove and it meant diving or not diving, I'd probably keep the gloves on the boat and dive. I'm simply trying to argue that the reasoning behind the law is flawed.

When you drift dive there you fold your arms and sail
with the current. You don't crash into things even on
swimthrus.

My concern isn't so much with the current as with the other divers who can't control their bouyancy.

Ever see a diver swim over a wall like this?
/
/

I have. Those are the guys that come crashing down on top of you our get too close to you and shove you into the side of a wall. It happens and even the best diver cannot control others.

Relax a little.

I'm perfectly relaxed...I'm arguing a point....that's what we do here...we discuss and argue. Though my text may seem it, I'm hardly sitting here getting worked up over the issue. You guys are the ones who need to relax.

leadweight once bubbled...
It is obvious, but not to you, prohibiting gloves is to keep people from touching things. If there is a risk of touching something dangerous divers will be more careful. Are you trying to tell me that you have so little bouyancy control that you will be touching dangerous stuff even though you don't want to? Or do you just touch everything and don't want to have to know what is dangerous.

Ban guns because guns kill people.

Ban seat-belts because they encourage people to drive recklessly.

Ban redudant air sources, because it will force people to be more aware of their air volume.

Get rid of O2 on boats. If there is no O2, people will be more careful about how they ascend.

Ban gloves because it will keep people from touching the coral.

-----
First off... gloves or no gloves, it's not going to change the way I dive. As to the 'bouyancy control' argument, here's what I see: If one has a bouyancy issue and they are without gloves... what are they going to do? Grab the reef? Possibly. Kick the crap out of the reef with their fins so they don't touch it with their bare hands... probably.

Gloves have absolutely no effect on your bouyancy. It doesn't miraculously cure bouyancy issues. If you've got bouyancy problems, your going to have bouyancy problems. Gloves don't fix them.

Hey... lets ban fins and make everyone go in bare feet while we're at it... that way they can't kick the reef either. Oh.. but then they'll land on it and be protected by their neoprene. Guess it's diving naked... that'll teach them bouyancy!

Geez.

Spectre once bubbled...
Hey... lets ban fins and make everyone go in bare feet while we're at it... that way they can't kick the reef either. Oh.. but then they'll land on it and be protected by their neoprene. Guess it's diving naked... that'll teach them bouyancy!

Geez.

:clapping:

If divers can't stay off the reek they shouldn't be allowed to dive. It isn't a bad idea to always wear gloves when you dive especially if you have soft hands anyway. IMO, fins are a bigger problem than gloves.

I don't dive without a knife. I haven't had to use it often but it only takes once.

If thats their rules, than I'm willing to follow them.
I don't need an Ugly American arguement with
Oscar or one of the other divemasters over whether
the Gringo is going to obey local custom or law. If I
want that crap I'll stay at work or come on ScubaBoard.

:upset:

Lawman once bubbled...
If thats their rules, than I'm willing to follow them.
I don't need an Ugly American arguement with
Oscar or one of the other divemasters over whether
the Gringo is going to obey local custom or law. If I
want that crap I'll stay at work or come on ScubaBoard.

:upset:

I just don't go to such places. They have chosen to allow bad divers but not allow safety equipment. They make more money that way but not from me.

Roatan also has the no gloves rule. If anything, it at least has a chance of making divers more aware. Example: Diver reaches over to touch the reef...hey my hand is naked....why is that....or yea the DM said not to touch the reef.

The divers that cannot control their bouyancy are going to bang into the reef regardless of what they are wearing.

Back
Top Bottom