Dive gloves in Coz issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in the Cozumel jail
ain't got nobody
to go our bail
so here we'll stay
cause we can't pay
just send our mail
to the Cozumel jail....

:guitar: :band: :band2:

The DM's in Coz don't say anyuthing about knives, but the gloves they don't like.

It's not a stupid rule. Not any worse than prohibiting collecting marine life, fishing, spearfishing or removing artifacts from wrecks.

Aaron, you need an attitude revision.

leadweight once bubbled...
The DM's in Coz don't say anyuthing about knives, but the gloves they don't like.

It's not a stupid rule. Not any worse than prohibiting collecting marine life, fishing, spearfishing or removing artifacts from wrecks.

In fact they have no similarities at all. All of your examples involved harming something, or removing something from the environment. Me wearing gloves does nothing at all except protect me in the unlikely event that something touches me.

It is naive to think that there is no reason to wear gloves. Exposure protection is there for more than just heat retention. It is protection from a foreign environment.

Aaron, you need an attitude revision.

That's one of the most arrogant things I've heard on this board in a long time.

My question is how is this rule enforced? If they simply "don't like it" than tough. I'll give them a little extra tip and not worry about it.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

That's one of the most arrogant things I've heard on this board in a long time.

My question is how is this rule enforced? If they simply "don't like it" than tough. I'll give them a little extra tip and not worry about it.

To flaunt violating rules and suggest buying someone off to do it is mighty arrogant.

It is obvious, but not to you, prohibiting gloves is to keep people from touching things. If there is a risk of touching something dangerous divers will be more careful. Are you trying to tell me that you have so little bouyancy control that you will be touching dangerous stuff even though you don't want to? Or do you just touch everything and don't want to have to know what is dangerous.

You put yourself in a no-win position and now are looking to flame your way out of it.

Sounds like pretty sorry diving to me.

The intention of the rule may be reasonable, but in practice it is simply pointless. In practice, preventing people from wearing gloves isn't going to do anything. People who want to touch are going to touch and you don't have to worry about the rest of us who stay off the bottom anyhow. Have there been any studies of this!?

My point is that, no matter how good you think you are, it is possible to bump into something accidentally. Preventing people from wearing protective gear is not discouraging touching at all, since, at your own admission, most of the stuff isn't dangerous. I certainly know the difference between a piece of fire coral and a piece of dead brain coral. I know what I can and cannot touch. It, however, does not mean that I won't get pushed into something by some poor guy who only dives in 85 degree water once every couple years.

And as for my bouyancy control...you are welcome to come out here in any time and dive with me and see for yourself. I'm quite confident in my abilities and am above resorting to criticizing people's skills when I've never seen them in the water.

I honestly don't care if you dive with gloves or not, but I'm not going to let someone tell me what I can and cannot wear while I'm in the water. Besides, in my experience, fins cause more damage than fingers. Should I not be allowed to wear fins?

Incidentally, no one has answered my honest question about the enforcement of this rule, just criticized my opinion on the matter.

It seems to be some sort of rule written or not that only some divemasters try to enforce. We were told neither could be worn a few weeks ago when there.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

My point is that, no matter how good you think you are, it is possible to bump into something accidentally. Preventing people from wearing protective gear is not discouraging touching at all, since, at your own admission, most of the stuff isn't dangerous. I certainly know the difference between a piece of fire coral and a piece of dead brain coral. I know what I can and cannot touch. It, however, does not mean that I won't get pushed into something by some poor guy who only dives in 85 degree water once every couple years.

Not true at all. People are more likely to stay farther from the corals if they know they're more likely to get a nice burn from a fire coral. With gloves they don't have that.

BTW they also have the glove rule in Bonaire, and I suspect a lot of other places.

Re-read your posts, and its pretty obvious why it looks like you need an attitude revision.

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...
Re-read your posts, and its pretty obvious why it looks like you need an attitude revision.

I would have to agree. Aaron, you seem way off base on this one...

dvleemin once bubbled...
Not true at all. People are more likely to stay farther from the corals if they know they're more likely to get a nice burn from a fire coral. With gloves they don't have that.

Well...It's a good theory anyhow. Does it have any effect? I'm not sure, but I highly doubt it. Like I said...fins are a much bigger danger. I've seen people kicking up a storm on coral, but never anyone actually grabbing the stuff. Plus, most people don't dive with gloves in tropical areas anyhow, so it's making a rule about something that isn't a problem to begin with. That's irrational.

Regardless, it still doesn't have an impact on those of us who stay off the coral.

It has been reread...I appreciate the criticism, but my viewpoint is unchanged. I have an opinion...several of you disagree....get over it and let's go dive.

Back
Top Bottom