Dive gear out of the country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuga

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My last scuba diving was less than awesome due to the fact that rental bc I was using had huge holes in the weight pockets and would dump out weights after about 10 minutes in the water. The problem is that I asked and ALL the bc's were like that it was just their design or something. So I am freaking out about my trip to Aruba and having a crappy ill fitting BC again. I won't have enough time to try something out before I leave. Is gear more expensive or less expensive in Aruba. I know watches are cheaper, what about dive gear? Should I get my BC here? I am thinking of a Ranger, any reason why
I shouldn't pull the trigger?

Customs might make you pay taxes on it on the way back. Other than that just make sure you buy something that can be serviced in your local area.

I have no idea about the price of gear in Aruba. Can't help you there.

R..

You’re better off purchasing your BC in the states. It will certainly be cheaper and will make things less complicated (service, warranty, paying duty). Yes you would have to declare it to CBP on your return. Watches are certainly cheaper, but read the fine print in the manual “Watch is warranted only if purchased in the US, not the VI or PR”! I don’t know Zeagle’s particular policy, but don’t think it’s worth the headache. In my experience it’s always better to buy from a place you know you’ll be able to return to if there are any problems.

I don't know about dive gears but when my buddy came back from Aruba touting how cheap his newly purchased Rolex Sea Dweller was (yes, it was real) in comparison to US shops. I told him that mine actually costed $200 less than his discounted price and it was purchased through a US authorized Rolex shop.

It's all about wheeling and dealing.

Go to Aqua Windies if you end up buying in Aruba, they are near the Aruban resort and behind the hospital. They are a pretty large shop and carry quite a bit of gear.
You WILL pay more there than online but pretty well in line with a brick & mortar shop in the states, so far as I can tell.
Which operator do you plan on diving with? I have done a bunch of resort dives with Unique and got my cert through Mermaids...both had equipment in good repair and you would have no worries renting from either. Unique is on the beach by the Radisson with their own dock and Mermaids is inland and uses the marina downtown. Mermaids is a bit rough oround the edges compared to Unique but they make up for it with a great staff, I would stay away from Red Sail...every opinion that I've ever heard regarding them was bad.

My last scuba diving was less than awesome due to the fact that rental bc I was using had huge holes in the weight pockets and would dump out weights after about 10 minutes in the water. The problem is that I asked and ALL the bc's were like that it was just their design or something. So I am freaking out about my trip to Aruba and having a crappy ill fitting BC again. I won't have enough time to try something out before I leave. Is gear more expensive or less expensive in Aruba. I know watches are cheaper, what about dive gear? Should I get my BC here? I am thinking of a Ranger, any reason why

I have to go with the LDS, warranties, etc.

I just sold 4 complete reg setups that I could not get locally serviced. Spent $400 on each one, and gave them away for $75 a pop. Gear is useless if you can't get quick service on it.

Go with a travel BC (Aqualung Zuma, for instance). They are light, cheap, and don't weigh much.

I suppose a weight belt and a rental BC with holes in the pockets isn't an option?

I suppose a weight belt and a rental BC with holes in the pockets isn't an option?

That's a GREAT point! Where were you last weekend? Great armchair quarterbacking, really.

How many dives are you planning on doing and what dive shop are you using?

Depending on your answers, our answers could be different.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom