Dive Gear Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adding the VAT to what I consider is already a fairly high price just makes it a little prohibitive sometimes,

Sure, same with me. I am surprised how scuba equipment (especially sales tax/VAT free prices)
is often less expensive on europe/UK than US.
That is very unusual.

Sure, same with me. I am surprised how scuba equipment (especially sales tax/VAT free prices)
is often less expensive on europe/UK than US.
That is very unusual.

I buy some of my Apeks gear from Europe for that very reason.

They have a great reputation, and I will probably order some stuff from them soon that I can’t get locally. However consider this: do you LIKE walking into a LDS, getting an air fill, meeting people, getting to touch something before you buy it, talking to an instructor before arranging a class, jumping in the pool at the beginning of the season to check out your gear or just practice that cool backwards fin stroke, maybe meeting a buddy for some local diving? If so please support your local dive shop. Online retailers are hammering local dive shops, and local dive shops are going away. No matter how good an online retailer is, they will not let me get in their pool. Yes, it costs money to maintain a pool. I will spend a few more bucks for the privilege... consider it like a gym fee.

@Umuntu - the straps in the Jeep were not expose to the sun - just to Missouri heat. I would have thought that webbing would last a very long time (certainly more than 7 years). But it may be that what was used in the Jeep only LOOKS like the same stuff used for weight belts and tank straps. I think some of the original auto stuff is like "builder grade" light fixtures in houses - they build in "planned obsolescence"!

They have a great reputation, and I will probably order some stuff from them soon that I can’t get locally. However consider this: do you LIKE walking into a LDS, getting an air fill, meeting people, getting to touch something before you buy it, talking to an instructor before arranging a class, jumping in the pool at the beginning of the season to check out your gear or just practice that cool backwards fin stroke, maybe meeting a buddy for some local diving? If so please support your local dive shop. Online retailers are hammering local dive shops, and local dive shops are going away. No matter how good an online retailer is, they will not let me get in their pool. Yes, it costs money to maintain a pool. I will spend a few more bucks for the privilege... consider it like a gym fee.

Be very glad if your LDS has a pool. Mine does NOT. They rent a lane (or more as necessary) in the big indoor public pool next town over. Making arrangements for a pool dive can be complicated. Although my pushing resulted in 4 pool practices this winter (3 hours on a Sat afternoon, Dec through March) that were very helpful. Turnout was pretty good. $80 for all 4 or $30/each. Already certified divers only, supervised by an instructor or DM. I’m going to lobby for it again next winter.

Having used a different local shop’s small pool last winter, I will say that renting lanes in a big public pool has one very big advantage when you are working on kicks. You can easily do underwater laps and really stretch out. That is not possible in the small shop pool I was in last winter that has a very sharp slope from 3ft to 10ft.

Last edited:
There are three LDS near me, one two hours away. I just visited that one and asked about pool practice, and they said “our insurance prohibits that” unless you are in a class— they don’t even let people in a class practice between classes. Of the other two, only one has a “sure, go ahead” attitude and the other puts up barriers. So the one with the good pool policy is the one I want to support the most, because that IS precious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom