Dive Flags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
What are the rules for dive flags in FLA? If there is someone using a flag in the vicinity is that good enough or do you have to have your own flag and tow it? Sometimes I just want a look-see in an area before a long dive and grab a 30 CF pony bottle and hand hold it for a short shallow dive. Will you get a ticket for doing this without a flag?
(Such a dive would not be in boat traffic area.)

Thanks,

Dan T

If you are shore diving, then all you need is a flag that is at least 12" X 16" and you have to say within 100 feet, but make an attempt to stay within 50 feet of the flag. If you are diving from a boat, then the flag has to be at least 24" X 28" and be displayed at the highest point on the boat (i.e. above the bimini or T-top). Again, the rules of proximity apply to the boat. I hope this helps.

FL SS 327.331

(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of the divers-down flag on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down flag.

The entire statute can be found at Florida Statute

I can not interput the law for you due to a "higher standard of care" and I do not have a license to practice law. Perhaps others here can chime in that are not so legally bound.

I will state that towing a flag is always a good idea.

Eric

showboat:
Never trust any boaters if doing a beach dive is my rule of thumb. There are way to many boaters out there that have no idea what a dive flag is and get way to close.

Not even the FMP... as Colin witnessed during the FishID class.

I figured Eric would have the Statute quoted. Hey Eric, can you tell me the required thickness of an average motor vehicle tire????.........:lol2:

I know the average thickness of a jet airliner tire is about 4 inches, and they're filled to 205 psi!!!

showboat:
Never trust any boaters if doing a beach dive is my rule of thumb. There are way to many boaters out there that have no idea what a dive flag is and get way to close.
To put it in its true perspective, my dive flag has a name. It is Spot. Why? 'Cause when you are out there, all a boater can see is a tiny red spot....
Just cause you have a flag does not mean boaters will take heed. When beach diving, the line where the water turns from light blue off the beach to the darker blue of the reef is a favorite target of boaters. If you hear a boat, or see prop wash, just make sure you are hugging the bottom. Sometimes they will even drop anchor near ya!

<sarcasm>I have a hard time believing that</sarcasm>

Scuba_Jenny:
Sometimes they will even drop anchor near ya!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom