Dive Flag use on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my AOW course on Maui back in 2003, my instructor brought a flag with him. Then he tossed it aside on the shore and picked it up when we left the dive site. - We were diving at Honolua Bay FWIW....
This was yet another problem with the quality of his teaching (I didnt have a computer and he did - our dive profiles were way off the tables - when I asked him how I was supposed to log those dives he said I would need a computer???)...

"I have had boats go right over my divers several times while I was towing my flag on dives there. Two of these boats were local dive operators!!!!! "

Why draw attention to your self then? Boaters see a flag and come by to check it out.
State requires a red and white "dive" flag but the CG requires an "Alpha" flag. Who do you go with?

Wildcard:
"I have had boats go right over my divers several times while I was towing my flag on dives there. Two of these boats were local dive operators!!!!! "
So maybe that dive flag is like a big bulls eye??? :D

Wildcard:
State requires a red and white "dive" flag but the CG requires an "Alpha" flag. Who do you go with?
Both.

Hawaii requires the dive flag for divers. For the boat they specifically say that the dive flag is required in addition to the alpha flag required by the Coast Guard. See (c) in Halemano's post that quotes the regs. Post #3 of the thread.

Doug -- I'm not arguing. I take a flag with me almost always, too... though sometimes I do tie it off or anchor it... mostly because I don't want to worry about entanglement. It's also difficult to operate a camera AND tow a flag... or enter the caverns at Makena. :)

You'll note from the regs posted that a boat must not approach a dive flag within 100 feet unless it is both at a speed of "slow-no-wake" and approaching it in order to dive nearby.

Kidspot,

The answer to your question is in regulation a. of my previous post, by law you are supposed to have a flag on the surface while you are diving.

Shaka Doug,

The dive boat captians who blast across Ulua reef almost daily have that everyone else sucks attitude typical of the companies and owners they work for.

adjuster-jd,

Maybe if you work them as multi-level dives with the wheel. How long was actually spent at max depth?

I couldnt say exactly what time at max depth was - dive #1 was to 110 feet - long enought to kneel on the bottom in the same, compare depth gauges and work the math problem for the AOW deep dive. We then gradually ascended. Total dive time was about 30 minutes or so.
Dive #2 was max depth around 80 feet, again, not sure time at max depth. Instructor didnt brief me on that timing so I didnt record it. Yeah, I could have probably have logged the dives using the wheel, but at that time I didnt have any training on the wheel. The point is we really had no definitive dive plan to follow as for time, definitely didnt plan according to the tables since we were off the tables..
At that time I didnt know any better -these were dives #7 and 8 for me. The instructor should have planned the dive based on tables (which granted would have resulted in less bottom time) - or better yet, should have planned with the wheel..

Seems to me the surface swim must have been longer than the dives to reach those depths, unless you entered way out near the north point. My instructor training was in Key Largo, with the Duane as the usual AOW deep dive. Due to the ~108ft depth of the main deck, all PADI instructors had to get written permission from PADI to conduct the deep dive there, just like you would have to do if using the Corsair off Hawaii Kai. Still not a fan of calling divers advanced with less than 10 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom