Dive flag awareness anyone?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
the issue was brought up in another thread so in a last ditch effort to actually do something about the lack of knowledge concerning the meaning of that bright red flag with the white stripe that boaters seem to ignore I am posting a new thread see if there is anyone that would be willing to help do something about the problem. here is a link of what a group of divers did in Florida Florida Skin Diver
anyone interested please pm me. and also so that others will know they are not alone on this mission acknowledge your willingness to help by posting here.

We're certainly interested in taking Rob Murphy's crusade nation-wide.
Does Hawaii already have a mandatory boater safety course for boat drivers? If so, does the course include the recreational dive flag?
Not that they do much good - in Alabama we have the mandatory course and the flag's in it, but I haven't noticed any more respect for the flag here than in states without a boating safety course - but it's a start.
I think the most important part of getting a successful flag awareness program going is making sure its thrust is cooperative rather than confrontational. We must bear in mind that boaters outnumber divers by at least 25 to 1, and if we "demand" strong measures we're liable to get laws that keep boaters and divers separated by simply banning divers from wherever there are boats, and we sure don't want that!
We have to keep it on an educational/common courtesy/responsible diving and boating level, where our objectives are (1) to make sure every boater knows the dive flag, (2) the rules of the road w/r/t the dive flag are obeyed out of wanting to be a good boater, (3) elevate respect for the dive flag to a level where there is considerable peer pressure within the boating community to obey the rules, and (4) lastly, raise the enforcement level within the marine police/Coast Guard force.
And, of course, we must make sure our own house is clean - divers MUST display the flag and be close by when near the surface.
Again, approaching the problem from an "enforcement first" angle could backfire on us bigtime.
You might also want to check out the threads here and here on the subject.
Rick

Last edited:
none what so ever its really sad that you can just walk in buy a boat and hes off just like that. cant happen like that constitutional law is some thing i studied for along time. if they did that they would have to say you cant ride your bike in the street. but i understand what you are saying. i think it would be best just to concentrate on the dive flag awareness for now. and worry about changing laws later down the road. i was impressed with the way they went about it in florida. the most important thing to remember about constitional law is that it protects the people not the states. but using it could bring the wrath of the state on the dive community which none of us want we simply want what every Pedestrian gets when they cross the street. i know exactly what you mean about divers staying near their marker, which is how we got to this point now. you seem to be very involved in the Rob Murphy crusade im wondering do they by chance have any type of start up kit that i can work with? or am i on my own? if their organization has any info or matrials that will help I would love to have it . but if not, oh well my mind is made up on this issue. I refuse to wait for someone to get hurt here knowing I "could" have made a difference. thank you for the sound advise I will heed it .

NetDoc (Scubaboard owner) has set up an entire forum for this. I think you'll find all the key players there, with knowledge of the movers & shakers who can help you get started in the Islands.
If we all work regionally with a common national purpose I think we can have a measurable positive effect on dive flag awareness.
Rick

shaka doug there appears to be no interest in this subject so im not going to waste my time. so I appreciate the offer. guess its just another one of those local practices something like if it dont kill you its ok.

anyway i won 50 bucks on this thread. I said not more than 5 people would stand up lol was i so right or what. anyway i wont waste anymore of my time on this board .nothing but lip service. take my 50 bucks and go buy a new game for my pc. thankyou all

It's hard to get folks off the dime until they're personally affected.
However... in cases like this it is useful to remember Lazarus Long's rule of gambling: "Of course the game is rigged... don't let that stop you. If you don't bet, you can't win."
Just for some perspective, I've personally been blowing the "dive flag awareness" horn here for over a decade, with only occasional passing interest from other divers or boaters. I refuse to let others' lack of interest in the subject "cool my jets."
Keep a steady strain, my friend; someday we'll break this oyster open and make the dive flag common knowledge among boaters. It may be our progeny that finally succeeds - the only certain thing is that if I quit trying I won't get the job done.
:)
Rick

in light of the resent developments in the missing spearfisherman on the big Island it is obvious that there is a serious problem and lack of understanding in regards to the dive flag for both divers and boaters. I was even accused of using fear tactics by one member of this board because I spoke of the dangers of diving without the float. or anchoring the float then moving off to dive then returning to the float.some people think it safe to anchor that float then do the dive. for those who intertain such thougths I say you need to think twice about not towing that float.the legal barrier for boats to stay away from that float is a mear 100 feet. that float is not a promise written in stone that you will not be run over that flag will tell boaters that see it and are aware of wat it means that you are near by but if you surface for any number of reasons more than 100 feet from that flag your chances of being run over greatly increased.

how many more people have to be hurt before its, maybe if its someone we all know then maybe there will be some effort on our part to do something about it. that must really shed great light on the dive industry here . we should all be proud.

Dive flags are only useful if boaters know the difference. I feel strongly that boaters in Hawaii need to be licensed, and I'll sign any petition that would help that cause. For now, I think some printed signs at the boat launches explaining the meaning of dive flags wouldn't be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom