Dive Flag and Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of line are you pulling the floats? Cave line, Wreck line, polypro?

So far, I like the inflatable torpedo buoy style.

line? Whatever came with the reel....

What kind of line are you pulling the floats?

I use a finger spool with the line it came with. When you are at a constant depth you can lock the line with the double-ender. When not using the double-ender you can just clip it off to your d-ring.

Don't bother towing the float flag around just anchor it with a weight near your exit/ entry point.

Normally this is what I do but beach dives in Venice are a little different. You wouldn't be close enough to the flag if you didn't tow it.

Many shore dives I do its just not practical to tow a flag around, due to depth can reach 40+m, or moderate to strong currents, some times my entry and exit points are many kilometres apart if scootering (not going to tow a flag if scootering). If I cant display a flag at my entry/ exit point I don't bother with a flag, only a legal requirement in my region to display a flag when diving from a boat. Otherwise I shoot a DSMB if I am likely to surface where there is any boat traffic.

Florida's flag requirements are a little stringent. We also don't have the kind of dives you're talking about, although I wish we did!

Venice you swim out 1/4 to 1/2 mile or more with no particular destination. You're looking for sharks teeth in 15' to 30' of water. You just kind of swim until you find a good looking area and then follow it until it disappears. Lots of fun though.

They're pretty strict on dive flags there.

26500-default-l.jpg

I have used one of these for 16 years and it has behaved well.

Back
Top Bottom