Dive Flag and Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all.

Quick question.

What is the easiest flag/float combo for towing during beach dives. When I say beach dives I mean some place like Venice, Blue Herron Bridge, Ect.

Anything stand out as significantly easier than others?

Thanks.

IMO the float that causes the least amount of resistance while being dragged thru the water. A small float with a shaft is all you need. Something like this. FL has size specs for a dive flag so check the laws too.
tag-along float.jpg

Where we dive, current is significant (2-3kt in the River). I used to use "pencil floats", but they are pulled under too easily, much to the displeasure if the surface team/shadow boat. Tubes are just awful as they have significant drag. A few years ago I went to this:

upload_2020-7-16_6-34-4.png

Has little to no drag as it cuts the water, and does not pull under. Also serves as a surface safety flotation item.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Hawaiian-Hard-Float-p/mhhf2.htm @MAKO Spearguns

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the flag and ball. Seeing as I can break a bowling ball, the styrofoam float dosen't last too long. I have something similar now but replaced the styrofoam ball with an orange long-line buoy. It has more drag than I would like though.

I have looked at the Mako hard floats but storage is an issue. I think that design might tow easier though.

Has anyone used an inflatable version of the Mako float? My main concern is durability. Any feedback on how the inflatable spearfishing / dive flag floats last?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

While I have not used one, the HP floats are extremely rugged material (don't know about the low pressure version). I had considered one as I thought it would be easier for travel, but in reality I'm not traveling much with the float going with me right now. The storage idea also made it interesting.

To me, the "hard hull" is the best for cutting through the water with the least resistance (think RIB).

Honestly, it really hasn't been that difficult to store. I just hang it on the wall. The flag comes off, rolls, and tucks in the weight strap for safe keeping. I want to put a thumb screw/knob in the flag holder so I don't need a screwdriver to assemble it.

By far the most versatile torpedo float out there. Only modification it needs is a legally compliant flag in some states (Florida in particular) I also add a 1lb soft weight inside the float for better balance. I have towed that off the beach and in 200' of water during scooter tech dives. Used it for over 20 years of diving. It works Omer Master Torpedo Float
OSBTMF.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom