• Terrible-Wish I had not spent the time and money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK-checked it off my list, probably won't come back

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Good-may return, won't make much effort

• Very good-had a good time, will definitely return to dive

• Excellent-world class, will return frequently and schedule trips with home dive group

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I see a lot of posts by people traveling to the area on business or holiday and hoping to dive. I never read any comments about the actual diving experience. What do visitors from outside the state and locals that dive primarily at tropical destinations think of our local diving?

I wonder if this poll is better placed in some place like the Basic Scuba Discussions forum. I doubt very many people who live outside of the SF bay area visit this forum unless they have plans to visit. So unless your interested in mainly opinions of people who live in the area.....

I am not sure the poll questions are fair. IMHO, Carmel Bay is the best diving I have done anywhere in the world… when you can get there, the visibility is good, the surge is in the gentle cycle, and your skills in cold open sea diving are appropriate.

I've made something like four trips to Monterey now, in various conditions, and I would definitely term the diving world class and I'm scheming to get back down there on Labor Day. The dramatic topography of the offshore pinnacles, and the incredible color with the hydrocoral and the corynactis anemones, makes it an amazing place to dive. Adding in the kelp and the biodiversity makes it even better. And the town is pleasant and there are lots of lodging and eating options for every pocketbook and taste.

(But of course, the best thing is the super diving friends I have there :) )

I've now dived a fair number of places in the world. Monterey is in my top five.

I wonder if this poll is better placed in some place like the Basic Scuba Discussions forum. I doubt very many people who live outside of the SF bay area visit this forum unless they have plans to visit. So unless your interested in mainly opinions of people who live in the area.....

Good point. I asked the mods to check it out and perhaps move it to a more suitable location.

I am not sure the poll questions are fair. IMHO, Carmel Bay is the best diving I have done anywhere in the world… when you can get there, the visibility is good, the surge is in the gentle cycle, and your skills in cold open sea diving are appropriate.

What do you feel is unfair about the poll questions?

...What do you feel is unfair about the poll questions?

I believe most people relate "Excellent-world class" with dive locations that are much more consistent and less demanding of the diver's skills and stamina. Conditions in Monterey vary so greatly, especially when you include Carmel Bay in the mix. When it's good it is spectacular, but there are so many days you get skunked by weather, swell, wind, surge, and/or visibility. I would be the first to select:

Excellent-world class, when conditions are good and divers are prepared for moderate seas, 50° F water temperatures, and 120'+.

I know there are lots of places at the better dive spots you can stay above 50' (on top of pinnacles and reefs) but nobody does. Getting sea sick is not on most people's preparation list for world class diving destinations, let alone bottom temperatures in the mid 40°s.

IMHO, Diving within the city limits of Monterey is sort of OK at best, relative to most of the California coast north of Point Conception. It improves almost continuously as you move towards and into Carmel Bay, especially beyond shore diving range.

A new diver unfamiliar with rigors of the Central Coast, perhaps relating experiences in Southern California or even the tropics, would feel mislead by your pole as worded.

Edit: These photos tell the story, both the nature of the area and how to dress.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/344317-monterey-carmel-pics-7-17-10-a.html

Well, I think most people would put the Galapagos in the "world class" category, and there you have heavy seas, extremely heavy current, relatively cold water, and long boat trips.

I personally don't include "easy" in my criteria for world class diving. And "cold" doesn't come into it until the water gets below what I dive in at home.

Well, I think most people would put the Galapagos in the "world class" category, and there you have heavy seas, extremely heavy current, relatively cold water, and long boat trips.

I personally don't include "easy" in my criteria for world class diving. And "cold" doesn't come into it until the water gets below what I dive in at home.

I suppose it is a matter of expectations. I consider the Galapagos a lot less demanding. Water temperatures are closer to San Diego than Monterey, conditions are more consistent, lots more shallow interesting spots, and not as spectacular when conditions are good. People like you and I might put the Doria on our list, but I suspect the majority of Scubaboard members and lurkers view the definition of world class from a different perspective.

If the poll is used by readers to decide if they want to dive Monterey, then full disclosure and appropriate preparation will prevent bitter disappointments. Maybe I am overstating, but it reflects my limited sphere of visibility.

I've always considered it "world class" and people who check out my pics seem to say the same thing. (Obviously Larry and Carol's pics, too)

Hey, people dive Antarctica and say that it's "world class" and a "once in a lifetime experience," and it's about as cold as water can get and still be liquid.

I agree with the Monterey vs. Carmel thing though. Monterey is so-so. Carmel is fabulous.

I don't think temperature, currents, or surface conditions matter much when considering a dive site "world class" or not, but they can certainly make the dive sites more challenging.

And with enough experience, you can dive Carmel pretty much any given weekend (irrespective of 20 ft seas or something).

Back
Top Bottom