Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clear Springs Scuba Park
Air Temp: 75 Sunny & calm; light winds
Surface Temp: 59f
Depth Temp: 55f at 38' max
Vis: 10 feet on platforms, 15' on the plane.

Did 2 dives for AOW - Wreck and Nav. Vis around the plane was decent at 15' give or take. There's quite a bit of algae growth on top of the plane over the winter, about 1.5 inches. Once more students get in the water it will be gone. The line tied between the two platforms in the middle for 100' Nav runs is gone. Not many out at the park today at all, but it was a beautiful day. Finished with dinner at Fat Catz...yumm!

30 March 09 @ 11:00AM
Air Temp: 61 (cloudy w/ mild wind)
Surface Temp: 61
Depth Temp: 59
Max Depth: 44'
Lake Level: 897 (12' low)
Dive: #24 (56 BT), #25 (32 BT)

This dive site has multiple cars, boats, and a truck to see. We used these dives to continue working on my navigation skills and begin mapping skills.

Our starting point was the first large flat rock east of the white drainage pipe running down to the lake (the drainage pipe is west of the boat ramp). The training platform is located on a heading of 0 degrees, approximately 15 yards offshore, and sitting in 15' of water. I mapped the following items using the platform as the starting point:

Lincoln Towncar: From NE corner of platform, 100 degrees for approximately 22 ft, sitting @ 25'.

Truck: From SW corner of platform, 300 degrees for approximately 15ft, sitting @ 15'

Fallen Tree w/ Patio Chair: From NE corner of platform, 340 degrees for approx 15ft, sitting @ 31'

Concrete ball: From Patio Chair, 270 degrees for approx 5ft, sitting @ 32'.

Rope continues 270 degree heading an unknown distance until rope "T"s (@ 33') with another rope which runs north/south.

Truck (again): From "T", 180 degrees heading approx 36ft, sitting @ 15'

White Car: From "T", 0 degrees heading unknown distance (I forgot my kick count when visibility went to < 1'), sitting @ 44'

Blue boat: From Lincoln Towncar, rope leads northeast (didn't write heading) approx 35'

On next visit I will continue to map the site and pass on the info.

Last edited:
April 1, 2009
Lake Travis - Mansfield dive ramp side
Air Temp: cool, cloudless, light winds
Surface Temp: 60f
Depth Temp: 59º at maximum 66'
Vis: Crystal clear to 60', then to 2' muck down lines near sailboat; clear to south at 60' depth

Lots of fish out; night dive
Saw 4 shrimp; going back tomorrow night for a night dive to take photos of ghost shrimp to prove it
Found some good fossils
Sediment was settled below 30'
Some growth above 30' already

Clear Springs Scuba Park
Air Temp: 83 Sunny & windy
Surface Temp: 59f
Depth Temp: 59f at 26' max
Vis: 15' on the plane at start

We had 2 IDC Candidates down by the plane. When we started the vis on top of the plane was good, but since the CD and I were the "students from hell" it rapidly went down! :D Sorry psiborg if that was your group working with doubles down there but it couldn't be helped. We worked on Rescue Evals and one Candidate did her 800 MSF swim. The water was a cool 59f but I was just fine in my 7mil, 5/3 hooded vest, 5 mil gloves and booties, even after a 54 minute dive.

All in all it was a great day. Lots of fun messing with the Candidates, plus I finished up and am now an IDC Staff Instructor!:cool2:

-CSSP 4/5/09
-Air temp was in the 50s and it was insanely windy. Windy enough to blow gear bags WITH gear in them off tables.
-Surface temp 62*
-Bottom temp 57* there was no sharp thermocline, temps gradually dropped with depth
-Vis was best in the coves where the wind was not stirring the surface up so much, 10-15'. Once you left them it dropped to 5' or less.

My son and I had a great dive at BL this morning. Water temp was a chilly 65 degrees, but quite manageable with a wetsuit and hood. We saw a bubba in the water with just a swimsuit, but that would have been a bit too bare even for a walrus like myself. My son wore an UA ColdGear long-sleeved base crew under a stretchy EVO 3/5 under an Oneil shorty and was fine.

Viz was around 10'-20', the clearest I have seen it.

Lagoon 2 is closed due to legal issues that will be cleared up soon.

April 12, 2009
CSSP
Air Temp: 70 light wind
Surface Temp: 63f
Depth Temp: 57f at maximum 35'
Vis: 8'

Park was completely empty, I was the only one there quite nice
Scootered over a good portion of the park vis was consitent throughout
Found out the turtles can't outrun me when I have the mako on 6, I caught em :)

I had a good dive at the Comal today. Vis was 15-20 ft...temp was 76 degrees. There were a few tubers but not many.

As soon as Travis warms up a couple of degrees, I'll be there!

April 14, 2009
Lake Travis - Bob Wentz Park (WP Public)
Air Temp: 78f clear skies, mild wind, very calm on lake
Surface Temp: 66f
Depth Temp: 59f at Max 80'
Vis: 10-15 feet down to 30', under 5 feet b/w 30'-40', 5-10 feet b/w 40'-80'
Lake Level Down 28'

Nice twilight dive at Bob Wentz. Vis is spotty, thermoclines are forming. Found GeoCache GC1HEGZ at 75' (577'msl).
Also came across the scoreboard, surprisingly found resting on the edge above a grotto. Need to inspect mooring and add some air to get it suspended next time around. Very pleasant evening for diving.:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom