Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overcast day with and gentle breeze.
Temperature outside was very pleasant.
Getting more classes and students....medium day for that. (Though the trick is, to dive deeper than the platforms).
Got there around 12noon, wanted to use up most of the gas left over from my previous trip.

One dive: 35FFW @ 55F (upper waters in the 60's), BT 91 minutes.

CSSP - Friday, May 14.

Played hookie from work. :)

Dive 1: 55 min, 42' max, 52 deg min.
Dive 2: 81 min, 28' max, 75 deg min.
Visibility about 10'-15'.

Saw 3 others but not while diving. Nice day. Overcast and mid 70's. Bugged out about 15 minutes before the rain started.

Edited to change minimum temp on dive 2 to 57 rather than 75. I must have had lysdexic fingers.

Last edited:
Sunday May 16, Lake Travis
1)
Shaker Plant
Vis is still real good here until it gets stirred up by a class, but once you get away from the blocks the mooring line's attached to and get over the wall, it's really very good, and it's getting a bit warmer too.
57degrees at 89', 72 at surface
vis to 15 or maybe a bit more

2)
Wreck Ally
The viz here was quite good yesterday, the class I was with did a really good job of not stirring up all the silt on the houseboat when they did their decent, so going around the boat and taking the tour of the site was really quite nice. Very easy to follow the lines, check out the toyota, upside down pool, boats, etc.
64 degrees at 71', 74 degrees at surface (sun came out).
Vis to 15ish, which is really good for this site with a class!

I think the drysuit can stay in the closet until winter, at least for me...which I am pretty happy about!

Thanks Robert and everyone for a really nice afternoon.

Lake Travis, 5/22/2010

1) Oasis Wall
Man I forgot how much I like diving this wall. There are things at many depths right now. I stayed fairly shallow with another diver I met this morning on Robert's boat, but we still enjoyed the rocks and fairly good population of fish. Around 45-50' there are a lot of rocks with fish (and beer cans/bottles) hiding under and around them.
Vis to 12/15 or so but really still pretty good!
Temp 61 at 74', 75 at the surface

2) Starnes Island
This is another nice wall site, now that the lake is full. It's a bit cloudy down to 30 feet or so, but then opens up pretty nicely. I found by far the most valuable "lake treasure" to date - the ladder from Roberts boat was resting peacefully in 72' of water :D
Viz/temp about the same as above, but a bit more cloudy until you get under 50-55'

There were a ton of boats, fast, slow and in between. The lake was pretty rough as a result of them plus pretty strong winds. People couldn't care less about dive flags, either. Come on out to the lake while the viz is still good!

Windy Point Private 5-22-10
Nice dive with Ian and Paul working out rigging and trim in sidemount. The park was crowded and tables scarce, but the vis was fantastic. Easily 10-15' ft at 60-70'. We found some kind of long plastic pipe for a swim through at around 40' that I haven't seen before.

Last edited:
Lake Travis, 5/23/2010

1) Wreck Alley
Put a zip tie off the stern of the house boat on the rope about 8-10' then another 100' down, which is past the Toyota and nearly to the pile of crap there the tour route turns. The zip ties hang down about 12" or so - can't miss them. Will be putting another set 100' apart on the line from the house boat to the upside down pool soon.
Viz 6-12ish, temp 76 surface and 61 at 70'

2) Wreck Alley
Put more rope in the mooring line at the upside down pool, but the clorox bottle has a hole in it, so it's barely visible at the surface. Seems like a silt storm was coming in to the are from the shore, viz there down significantly the 2nd time.
Viz 2-10ish, temp 77 surface and 59 at 70'

3) Shaker Plant
We recovered the hostages (missing slates), looked for the broken/missing line to the north without any luck. Nice viz still at this site.
Viz 6-15, temp 55 at 116'

4) Wreck Alley
Back again, this time just a tour to the pecan tree route. The silt storm continues up in the shallows, but isn't anywhere to be seen where the trees are. They still look kinda creepy if you go to the bottom and shine your light up at them. Cool stuff.
Viz 6-15 in the trees, much less shallower. Temp 56 at 103'

Great way to spend a Sunday! :cool2:

May 22, 2010
Mammoth Lake, Lake Jackson, TX.
Thermocline at 24 FT. 83 F above! 72 F below.
Visibility 5 FT.
First dive at Mammoth Lake with CHUM. Warm, but horrible visibility: 5 foot maximum, except inside the C-130 and Yellow Submarine. Easy to lose your buddy. Didn't spot any paddlefish.

Today at Medina Lake:

viz 15 feet near surface, down past 50 ft deep viz fell
to near zero at times, other times 3 feet.
Closer to shore, ~30-40 feet, viz was 15+ again.

Temp mid 70s up top, mid 60s at 50 ft.

Gentle breeze all day, calm surface. A few inconsiderate boats around who like to fly around the dive sites...

My son and I dove 288 Lake yesterday--had the place to ourselves. Water was great, viz. easily 25'. Warm down to thermocline at 20' or bottom.

About 85 degrees from surface to thermocline, 70 after that.

The website gives hours in the early evening, but I called and the operator let us in at 10 AM. Really nice without any classes there as the lake silts up quickly with a lot of activity. Lots of tables and easy access down to the water from multiple sites.

Website

Laredo Scuba Diving Club went diving to Lake Amistad in Del Rio, Texas on 5-30-10. The visability was at 15 feet and the water terperature was at 80 degrees. Had a great time. Put away those winter wet suits. Enjoy! :):cool2:

Rene,
Divemaster
Laredo, Tx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom