Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:$: My two pesos worth...

(1) If you're talking about your FIRST computer, then there are lots of "entry level" comps available. I recently bought an Oceanic Versa Pro, Nitrox ready, water activated (if I forget; did that once with my other), audible warnings, everything I want as a recreational diver.

And :approve: this is one of the few large ticket things I'd buy online:
(1) To learn to use it, :book: read the book until you understand, however long that takes. (In the cellphone business, we have a difficult time getting grownups to read instruction manuals, but you're a diver. You're different.)
(2) If it malfunctions, it's easy to ship to the manufacturer. (I have two computers fail in my first 100 dives. I now dive with two computers, ever dive.)
(3) The price difference between online and LDS doesn't seem to support what service you get from LDS. I may change my mind on this, as we badly need to support our LDS but for now, I fel this way.

I would strongly suggest a Nitrox ready computer. They don't cost much more than Air, and I think Nitrox is wonderful. If you're new, you'll burn through a tank too fast to have nitrogen loading problems for a while, but - as you get more skilled, you won't get enough bottom time from air below 60 feet. Nitrox will give you about 50% more!! My favorite Florida Keys Dive Center now has 100 cu ft Nitrox tanks! Anyway, it's sad to see a diver progress to the Nitrox stage owning an air computer.

I would not buy a used computer with no warranty even as a backup; I didn't. If you found one you could dive with for a week long trip first, for $50, maybe, but then - could you trust it while you were checking it out. No, new computers with warranties are too cheap to bother.

:nod: BTW, I always carry a spare battery for each, along with tools to change both. Saw a guy get over a thousand miles from home with a dead battery, and replacements are hard to find away from the U.S.

:cheers: DON

I love mine....

Or you could buy the Vytec wrist mount without the hoseless transmitter...(so you could spend the cash on the transmitted later, if you decide to go air integrated.)

Dandydon is right on with getting a Nitrox model. If you don't, you'll be buying another one in a year or so anyway. User replaceable batteries are also great.

I would have to respectfully disagree about looking for a good deal on a used one though. Jen and I both bought Oceanic Data Plus nitrox ready computers right after we got certified. They are both still working like brand new after seven years (and more than 500 dives).

Obviously, like Don, I would recommend an Oceanic as a good solid computer that won't empty your savings account. I couldn't be happier with the reliabilty of mine.

Scott

CRESSIDVR9 once bubbled...
Whats a good dive computer for the money?

Would you buy a used computer and if not why?

If you're buying second hand search the web for recall notices. I know of recalls on the

A raft of Uwatec computers:
1995 Aladin Air X NitrOx,
Smart COM,
Smart Pro Console,
Smart Pro Wrist computers.

Also, some of the old Suunto Vypers had software problems and were recalled too.

There are probably others.

As a rule-of-thumb if a computer is older it's likely to be less conservative. I have an old computer, for example and when my computer is still giving me a few minutes of NDL my buddy's computer is giving us a few minutes of deco. Computers have become a little more conservative lately so keep it in mind.

As for new computers there are a lot of good ones on the Market. I'm a little concerned about uwatec computers though. They're having so many problems with questionable QA that I'm not sure if they can be recommended. I certainly don't want to be one of their test subjects..... :eek:

R..

scubasean once bubbled...
I love mine....

Or you could buy the Vytec wrist mount without the hoseless transmitter...(so you could spend the cash on the transmitted later, if you decide to go air integrated.)

I'm really enjoying using my Suunto computers. I dive with both a Vytec and a Vyper. The Vytec hoseless AI is great as I can check my air right on my wrist, and I keep a redundant Vyper on a console.

ScottyK once bubbled...
I would have to respectfully disagree about looking for a good deal on a used one though. Jen and I both bought Oceanic Data Plus nitrox ready computers right after we got certified. They are both still working like brand new after seven years (and more than 500 dives).

Obviously, like Don, I would recommend an Oceanic as a good solid computer that won't empty your savings account. I couldn't be happier with the reliabilty of mine.

Scott

Now, I did say that I would not buy a used computer. I've seen new, Oceanic Versa Pros, Nitrox ready, etc. with new battery and warranty, sell for $200 (although I bought my last one before that special), so why buy a used one, with limited choices.

:boogie: DON

Hey- you never know how much money someone has to spend. For someone newly certified and trying to buy a whole bunch of gear, spending $50 for a used hockey puck might be the difference between getting a computer or not.

I'm going to be switching us to bottom timers that are PC downloadable soon, and was actually figuring on asking about $50 apiece for the ones I have now.

That's what I hate about electronics :rolleyes:

They're as good now as when I bought them, but as soon as you lose that "cutting edge" factor, the value goes in the crapper :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom