Dive Computer With Same Algorithm as Galileo Luna?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ontdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone happen to know if there is another wrist mount on the market that has same algorithm as the Luna? Looking for something to be used as back up. Would love to get another Luna, but it would dent the budget.

I have the uwatec smart tec for sale. Also air integrated, 3 gas computer. Would make a good backup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

For just a back-up computer, you can't beat the Aladin 2G. Runs the same algorithm, is very small and compact, fits in a nice DSS bungie mount, you can get them at good discounts right now. It does not have the AI/compass/big screen, but it is a perfectly functional 3 gas computer that is ideal for a back-up if your main one stops working.

If you do get a backup, make sure you configure your Luna to match the other computer. The Luna will try to factor your respiration rate in, unless you turn that feature off, right? And the Sol adds heart rate. If you didn't do that, then a backup like the Aladin would not match the Luna's calculations.

(I turned that stuff off on my Sol right away, to match my buddy's Smart Z and because I was not convinced those calculations were meaningful.)

It's best to have the backup computer equal or less conservative to the primary. So turning the workload calculation on should be fine as it makes the Galileo more conservative.

The Luna does not factor respiration rate in except to calculate your remaining air time as part of the gas integration feature. That has nothing to do with the deco algorithm. The luna does not have the heart rate monitor feature and so does not adjust the deco algorithm on the fly like the Sol does when you have that feature activated.

The Luna's deco algorithm is exactly the same as the 2G's, a Buhlman 8 compartment algorithm with adjustible MB levels. Set them up the with the same MB level and they should operate identically.

I thought I had seen some 2G deals for arouind 300, which is a big discount. You can also pick them up used, regularly, for a lot less.

I have a 2G now, and it is going to become my back-up as soon as I get my Luna or Sol, which I am actively seeking right now.

I think my post above was not completely correct. The Luna has an optional feature that adjusts the deco algorithm based on workload (increased respiration as measured by the gas integration feature). If you have that option turned "on" then it is possible the Luna will be more conservative than the 2G back-up if you have a strenuous dive. If you have the workload feature "off" then the computers should function exactly the same because the run the identical algorithm, coded identically because they are both Uwatec products.

I have posted in the Scubapro manufacturer forum a question to see if they can explain how the algorithm adjustment works, in other words, what, precisely, are the adjustments it makes to the standard algorithm to apply more conservatism.

If you get any information about that, please post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom