Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I am new to diving, so new I haven't even purchased my own equipment yet. The one piece of equipment I need the most help with is the dive computer. I have seen so many mixed reviews over different brands. I have considered: Oceanic, Sunnto, Sherwater Petrel, and Mares. I used the Suunto Zoop during my dive class, and found it easy to use and read. So in my quest to purchase my own computer, I am finding it very difficult deciding on which one I want, which would be most useful, and one I wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. If anyone can please make brand and model recommendations it would be helpful.

On a side note: I noticed many of them come with transmitters you can add on for a price. Do I need the transmitter for the computer to be functional for dives, or can I add that at a later time?

Budget: Would prefer to stay below $1300

Thank you for any input you may have!

--Cody

Cody,
You are going to get a lot of opinions about different computers and why. So ultimately you have to choose one based on the type of diving you want to do, what features you like and your budget. I personally dive with the the Petrel but the reasons I chose it may not be relevant to you. I personally chose the petrel because it is simple to use, the customer service, it is easy to read, I can change the batteries without having to send it off, and it syncs with my MAC, unlike my previous dive computer. I also like the petrel because I plan on doing some CCr diving in the future and I was told it was a good backup computer for CCr. As for transmitters, you do not need one if you have an SPG to monitor your air. The transmitter allows you to monitor your air from the computer. There are reports of the transmitters not working during a dive or failing in some way. If you do go with a computer with a transmitter make sure you have a SPG for a backup. On my previous dive computer I had a transmitter, but I have not missed it at all. I hope this helps you and good luck with your search.

H2oDawg said it very well. It really depends on the diver and their intended use/preferences. I really like the Petrel also. I also like the Scubapro Galileo Luna, which is what I first used when I got into diving. Both have their upsides and downsides but they've worked well for me. I would recommend going to a dive shop(or shops) that carries the computers you're interested in and check them out in person, if you could find someone to let you try one out in the water before you go and purchase one that would be even better. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for me there are three options.

Shearwater Petrel, best computer on the market, but a bit large and expensive, not what I would choose if my primary diving required air travel and only planned recreational type dives for the near ish future. $800 usd

Oceanic Geo 2.0, best balance of price/size/features, and my preferred choice if I was flying to most locations for recreational diving. It is watch sized, has a gauge mode if you get into technical diving so you can use it as a backup, and has two different options for algorithms. $400 USD

Cheap route is head to ebay and grab a Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimede II, or any of the other iterations of that Seiko computer design. Does multi gas deco, has gauge mode, user changeable batteries, etc, and is usually $100-$200 on ebay. Bit bulkier than the Geo but half the price.

Many will recommend the Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express for $250, but the GUI is horrid and it is still rather big and bulky, so I feel strongly that the extra $150 for the Geo 2.0 is worth it. If you feel the need for AI, the Hollis DG03 has it, but you'll find that it is more of a gimmick and doesn't give you a whole lot of meaningful data that you can't calculate yourself in 30 seconds and it is horribly expensive. You can add transmitters later, the computer doesn't care if it has one or not. I would avoid Suunto based on their algorithms that tend to penalize you for a whole lot of stuff *59 minute SIT instead of 60 minute SIT results in 10minutes less NDL, that type of stuff that unfortunately they don't publish so you have no idea until you actually dive*. Good computers, but they way they altered the algorithm irritates a lot of people especially if you are doing multiple dives a day.

I have owned 4 computers since I started diving about 15 years ago. The Petrel to me is the best so far. It has a large display that is easy to read for my "old" eyes and is capable of growing with you as you try different types of diving including multi-deco and CCR.

FYI, Oceanic VT4.1 with transmitter is on sale for $699.95. I only checked Leisurepro and DRIS. I just bought one myself.

I hope to own a Petrel in the future as I venture towards the tec training. Currently I have a Geo 2 and have had no problems with it. The USB cable is a bit of a con at £40 and the manual is awful but for every day use it is superb. Just replaced a battery at 140 dives.

..... So in my quest to purchase my own computer, I am finding it very difficult deciding on which one I want, .....
Yup. There are so many models (last time we counted them we tallied > 100).
Whatever brand / model you end up purchasing, make sure to learn how to properly use it.

On a side note: I noticed many of them come with transmitters you can add on for a price. Do I need the transmitter for the computer to be functional for dives, or can I add that at a later time?

Budget: Would prefer to stay below $1300
The transmitter enables the compatible computer to function as a wireless Air Integrated computer. The computer can be used without the transmitter. Provided you get a wireless AI computer, you can add the transmitter later. The transmitter enables additional computations and alarms related to your air pressure. The computer can then alert you at specified pressures, monitor remaining dive time based on the limiting factor of gas supply, nitrogen, or oxygen, whichever is less at that particular time. Computer will also allow divelog software to calculate SAC once you specify tank parameters.

I've never owned a non AI computer. And I'm on my second Oceanic. Started with a ProPlus 2. I'm now using a wireless VT 4.1. Oceanic menu interface is pretty easy to navigate. The VT also offers dual algorithm, user upgradeable firmware, and user replaceable batteries. I haven't had a need to change the algorithm yet, but the firmware and battery changes are important to me.

Thank you everyone who replied and gave their input, it was greatly appreciated. After further review of the suggestions and reading further on computers, I have purchased the Shearwater Petrel 2! Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom