Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats. Just for anyone else who's reading this thread, there is a nice new offering from Heinrichs Weikamp out of Germany. Looks to be around $470USD plus shipping.

heinrichsweikamp

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 02:54 AM ----------

I only rec dive but if didn't already have a Petrel Id be interested. I've owned one of their comps before, good company with great customer service.

Congrats. Just for anyone else who's reading this thread, there is a nice new offering from Heinrichs Weikamp out of Germany. Looks to be around $470USD plus shipping.

heinrichsweikamp

I only rec dive but if didn't already have a Petrel Id be interested. I've owned one of their comps before, good company with great customer service.

Nice looking computer, owner's manual on their website

Yes, they make nice gear, good people too.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 05:23 AM ----------

All you need is a cheap bottom timer, especially if you are new to the sport.

Maybe, but a computer is more convenient, particularly if you're not doing square profiles or doing multiple dives over multiple days. Like most things in life it's often more about wants than needs.

heinrichsweikamp

The OSTC sport looks like a nice computer at a very competitive price. Has anyone out there had any hands on info on this line?
The display looks bright and sharp on the website but as I recently noticed on another manufacturers color display DC, when the intensity was turned up to a usable level the battery life went to less than 10 hours. I hope this is not the case and if it does have decent battery life I may consider one later in the year.

Each to his own. I used a dive computer in 1990 and never looked back. Now waiting for a nice AI version of a computer with a color display to upgrade from my trusty Galileo.

Cody,
I think the first step is to try to figure out where your diving interests are going to take you. If you, that helps narrow down the available choices and sets the price point. I have used Oceanic and Cochran computers. I like my Cochran computers very much. I do not favor transmitter models since that adds one unnecessary point of failure. If I were to buy another computer now, I would give a long look at the Shearwater Petrel 2. Good luck with your purchase, but whatever you buy be sure you fully read the manual and understand how to use it underwater.

The OSTC sport looks like a nice computer at a very competitive price. Has anyone out there had any hands on info on this line?
The display looks bright and sharp on the website but as I recently noticed on another manufacturers color display DC, when the intensity was turned up to a usable level the battery life went to less than 10 hours. I hope this is not the case and if it does have decent battery life I may consider one later in the year.

I have the OSTC3 (non sport), the display is bright and sharp and the battery life is as good as my Shearwater.
I use 3.7v Li-Ion rechargeable batteries in both.

My feeling is that no matter the computer you choose, it should have a user replaceable battery. I was burned by the Suunto D9 having the battery die when I was flying to a week long dive trip. The battery level indicator was not reliable and there was little to no warning. I would suggest that it has made me less inclined to think about a computer with a rechargeable battery. I think you have to look for the capabilities that you need in the computer you purchase. I prefer a computer that is air integrated but it is one more thing to go wrong. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom