Dive Computer for Recreational Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about the difficulty of doing open water dives that max bottom time without a computer. This is the DIR forum. That means that, for 100' dives, you are using 32%. Go pull decoplanner or any other program and run a bunch of 4-5 dive a day two level profiles. Surface intervals of say an hour after dives 1 and 3 and maybe 1.5-2 hours after 2 and 5 are what you would see in the real world usually. The amount of air in your tank will be your limiting factor, not your NDL limits. When I run tables like this, I run them agressively to now the limits and usually back off on the dives. (i.e. A few minutes of deco generated by the program are ingored since I am putting my own stops in.) That way, if something does come up, I know where the hard limits are and what needs to be done to compensate. I would not recommend that as you are learning the process.

While a computer will let you come up 5-10 feet and give you slightly more NDL, that is not what works in the real world. So, depending on the depth, at recreational levels, you need to move 20-30 feet up. On a typical 100' dive that means you are moving from say 95' to 65'. You will have plenty of bottom time in this range for multiple dives. As you get more experienced, you can play with this more and extend your 95' level slightly longer by depth averaging if you start moving up before the end of that levels bottom time. (Explaining how to do all of this isn't practical online.) But, just setting a two level ML dive and then, by starting the upward moves to the next level or to your stops slightly early (i.e going shallower but still staying below the next level or first deco stop) you can adjust conservatism depending on personal or other dive factors.

I think I have explained this process in more detail in previous posts.

Learning this process does take a little (IMHO not much) time. If you leave the computer on your wrist while doing this, that is fine. If you choose to continue to use the computer because you aren't willing to put in the small amount of effort to actually learn how deco works, then you are no longer diving DIR. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a holistic system and this is one of the pieces.

b1gcountry:
I've been biting my tongue just a little bit here, but why don't you just take the time to set your computer up correctly for the mix of gas you are using? I kinda thought that was the point of the entire DIR philosophy...taking the time to do things 'er, well, Right.

Tom

Because its easier to train everyone to use a gauge basically the same way, mulileveling on the fly as RTodd and DIR-ATlanta have described.

Otherwise you got a team of divers all using different computers all getting "credit" and "penalties" for different things. Somewhat forgivable on "no-deco" dives. Assuming your all doing more than the minimum of safety stops it kinda comes out in the wash. But once you get into deco dives you can't have all these different profiles, algorithms, credits and penalties going on in one team. It just doesn't work.

Hence gauge mode with consistent training across operators = DIR :D

Remember in the old days one would where a dive watch and use a J-valve and that's it for gauges.

Nowadays, for some reason some dive boats require you or at least one partner to have a computer. In some cases this is more dangerous than the above.

PS. Yes, I know J-valves this and that....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom