Dive Computer for Recreational Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very well said DIR-Atlanta. Having just taken the DM test Final, I definitely feel boned up on Decompression Model theory, and table use.

Stevens- You didn't write that at the same time as Atlanta, did you? That would be funny getting the same example at the same time!

Tom

b1gcountry:

Alright, I feel a lot better about the whole DIR computer thing now. I can't imagine doing a week diving on a dive charter/liveaboard without a computer. The first time I saw the list of "why computers are bad" it was quoted in relation to recreational computers. I can understand it a lot better now that I know it is mostly about deco computers.
Tom

Heh, I couldn't imagine doing a week of diving on a charter *with* a computer :)

limeyx:
Heh, I couldn't imagine doing a week of diving on a charter *with* a computer :)

Me too. I'd have that 'puter bent by day 2. Most likely by forgetting to set it to the correct mix.

Well, that's what happened to me . . . Here I decided that I really ought to let the computer monitor the slow compartments, and then I forgot to reset it for Nitrox, and spent the rest of the week with it showing "Er" where I really wanted the dive time, because once you've irritated it, it refuses to play with you until you don't dive for 48 hours.

I honestly find it incredibly stupid that you can't reset the thing into gauge mode once you've aggravated it. At least in gauge mode, I have my dive time in the biggest numbers. "Er" isn't anything useful to be shown in the largest font on the computer, except as a punitive measure.

I've got a Uwatec Smart Pro that I dove in Cozumel. When we were logging our dives the night before, Kathy hit some buttons and put it into nitrox mode...98% nitrox. It beeped at me when I got below 20', and when I surfaced it didn't let me change the nitrox mix. (you have to wait 5 minutes, and not get it wet in the process I found out). I did the dive anyway, and used the time. When I did my SI, it let me change the O2% and I used it the next day. Never had a problem with the Er, but I didn't skip deco.

Needless to say, checking the O2 mix is now on my checklist before every dive.

Tom

b1gcountry:
Probably not part of the training on GUE-EDGE in fundies :D That'd be like having to inventory the ankle weights too...

b1gcountry:
I've got a Uwatec Smart Pro that I dove in Cozumel. When we were logging our dives the night before, Kathy hit some buttons and put it into nitrox mode...98% nitrox. It beeped at me when I got below 20', and when I surfaced it didn't let me change the nitrox mix. (you have to wait 5 minutes, and not get it wet in the process I found out). I did the dive anyway, and used the time. When I did my SI, it let me change the O2% and I used it the next day. Never had a problem with the Er, but I didn't skip deco.

Tom
Uwatec's are pretty good. Just use gauge mode (which the Smart Pro will do) when you are diving beyond the normal limits (or doing any sort of GUE training/practice), and all should be well.

That said, my main complaint about the Uwatecs are the wet contacts. They seem to assume that you are either bone dry between dives, or you never change your mix. Argh! Real pain when you get board the boat with 32%, and the next fill you get 34%. You need to dry your hands and computer completely before the wet contacts will work as needed to make the change. Worse is when your last dive was on 32% and you forgot to change it back to air before jumping in the water... Needless to say, you hopefully only make that mistake ONCE (and hopefully survive to tell about it).

The Smart Pro is one of the best computers ever made IMHO -- I have one and would love to find another before they disappear completely :)

b1gcountry:
I also had a broader question of whether GUE actually had any recreational classes? I know Fundies is usually taught more as an introduction to tech than a real rec class. The book seemed to pay decent lip service to how uncertified divers should be trained, is there a plan for a GUE OW class?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=184826

TSandM:
I honestly find it incredibly stupid that you can't reset the thing into gauge mode once you've aggravated it. At least in gauge mode, I have my dive time in the biggest numbers. "Er" isn't anything useful to be shown in the largest font on the computer, except as a punitive measure.

You can actually reset some computers (such as the Aladin TEC2G) now. Otoh, I think there are still some time restrictions before one can switch from "computer" to "gauge" mode... There are also computers such as some made by Cochran that will still show relevant infos after having been "aggravated."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom