Dive computer for 0 vis murky waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@emoreira, yes it does work but is massively awkward.

As I was trained in zero viz, everything is on your tender and profiler. Your line tender is focussed on keeping you on a regular-pattern search while your profiler is checking your breaths per minute and knows the depth. Only dive AL80's. You will get a line signal when your time is up. It is amazing to see a handful of carabiners being thrown into silt and having them all come back up.

My wish: A plastic magnifier on a BIG bright recreational PDC. You rotate the lens to find the plus strength that is most convenient for you.

Orca Pilot
Orca Pilot Audio.gif

Voice assisted computer.

I`m try many times to discuss with Alexey Vazninsky to make voice assisted version of him AV-1, but unfortunatelly he has not time for that now (but it is possible)
I have one blind friend who loves diving.
SPG I made for him, depthmeter too, but computer... no :(
p.s. depthmeter I made for another one too :)

Last edited:
Flite (festvox/flite) will likely fit in a dive computer with a smartphone-level CPU... might have to put in some extra RAM though, and trim it down to single-language, single-voice builds.

My $400 Dive Rite Nitek Q is perfect, too bad it is no longer available
Pretty sure they still have one on the shelf at Sunshine Scuba in Largo :wink:.

Progressive Equalization is a technique developed for gas management, and by extension no decompression management, in truly zero visibility. I learned if from an ex-Royal Navy diver in the 1970s. I continue to use it on doubles with an isolation manifold regardless of visibility.

I've heard that police divers diving in 0 vis waters use a clear plastic bag full of fresh water and a torch. To see the dive computer display they put the mask against the bag, the PDC across the bag and the torch in one side to iluminate the ambient
The fresh water will let you see to the PDC.
I don't know if this is feasible. The same would be for the SPG.

Nope, we use tenders. We can take pictures in 0 vis this way, but (at least for us) trying to read a computer this way is just not practical nor is it necessary.

No computer is readable in 0 visibility, no matter how bright or large.

As I think about it, I believe someone makes a hud for the interspiro, but I don't want to think about the price.

Why would you be diving in zero vis unless someone is paying you? True zero vis for a short time is fine if you can swim away from it. It is a non-issue in commercial diving since we are surface or bell-supplied and decompression is managed by topside supervisors.

I might have made a mistake in using the word 0 vis.
It's basically 20-40 cm vis. I can still read my spg if i use my torch on it and keep it about 5-10 cm in my face.
It's the type of visibility, where you can see your elbow if you stretch your arm, but the hand is gone. Where if your buddy has a black drysuit, he's invisible if he's not physically holding you. We mainly dive here to practice using our compasses correctly.

The main problem I have, is that when I need to see my depth at certain times I need to press the backlight for 3 seconds before I get any light, and if I try to read my computer using the torch it basically just blinds me, since the leonardo has no phosphorescent screen.

Since I've only been diving for a year, (22 dives) I'm not sure if investing in the perdix is a smart move at this time?
I was more looking into something in the more 400 dollar max range if possible?

It may seem ridiculous, but arent the old computers like the zoops phosphorescent like our spg's?
Because to me it's alot more readable than the backlit computers.

Just diving in high vis water is not really an option. I kinda like the murk.

Joris Vd:

You'll be surprised at how many of us purchased a Perdix for its interface, and not for its technical diving capabilities. It has an outstanding display that is easy to read, meaning w/o clutter and useless information or grid lines. Second, the computer is easy to operate and is very intuitive in its operation. If I give you 5 minutes with the unit, you'll be able to navigate all the menus and have a very good understanding of the computer's functions.

Personally, I bought my first Petrel because my buddy had descended a little faster than I did, yet I could read his dive computer, while I was 2-3 feet above him. Didn't even know it was this super-duper-do-it-all dive computer..

O.

P.S. Wait until you dive at night with a Perdix....

Back
Top Bottom