Dive computer between several days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They don't "completely turn off." The DISPLAY turns off to save power.
Some may do. From Newton's manual (https://www.cressi.com/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_Newton_EN.pdf) very bottom of page 5:
"SHUTDOWN OF THE DEVICE: In order to reduce the consumption of the battery when the device is not in use, Newton can be switched off by pressing the LIGHT button for 5 seconds. The shutdown will cause the loss of the TIME and DATE, and will be possible only after the no-fly time."
Loosing TIME and DATE sounds like a complete shutdown.

Some may do. From Newton's manual (https://www.cressi.com/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_Newton_EN.pdf) very bottom of page 5:
"SHUTDOWN OF THE DEVICE: In order to reduce the consumption of the battery when the device is not in use, Newton can be switched off by pressing the LIGHT button for 5 seconds. The shutdown will cause the loss of the TIME and DATE, and will be possible only after the no-fly time."
There is no statement like that in the Leonardo manual, only "reset" instructions that cause it to dump tissue info. Definitely NOT something you want to do during a dive trip.

They don't "completely turn off." The DISPLAY turns off to save power.

"They" I thought is general enough to cover other DC as well. Hence in post #11 I said that other DC (like for example Newton) can be turned off by the user if needed:

There is no statement like that in the Leonardo manual, only "reset" instructions that cause it to dump tissue info. Definitely NOT something you want to do during a dive trip.

I agree with you (and previously highlighted so in post #8) that Leonardo doesn't support this.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

"They" I thought is general enough to cover other DC as well. Hence in post #11 I said that other DC (like for example Newton) can be turned off by the user if needed:

I agree with you (and previously highlighted so in post #8) that Leonardo doesn't support this.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My post was unclear. Sorry.

I would be interested to discover if any modern dive computer can be "turned off" other than by removing the battery.

Switching it off generally means going into a low (or even extremely low) power consumption mode. But the processor still is powered and periodically will check to see if the power switch is being pressed.

I would be interested to discover if any modern dive computer can be "turned off" other than by removing the battery.

Switching it off generally means going into a low (or even extremely low) power consumption mode. But the processor still is powered and periodically will check to see if the power switch is being pressed.

Designed right, the processor doesn't need to be involved, just a simple wake up circuit.

Interesting! I have only been around dive computers that stay awake until they calculate the nitrogen is gone.
Interesting, indeed. Other than my OCi, all DC's I have had or been around (that I've noticed) will "turn off" after about 5 minutes of getting out of the water or of no button presses. Checking your status such as surface interval or no fly time is just a matter of pressing any button to wake it up. But, then, I do not have experience with all or even a majority of all that are available so I could be in error when I say most are like this.

Interesting, indeed. Other than my OCi, all DC's I have had or been around (that I've noticed) will "turn off" after about 5 minutes of getting out of the water or of no button presses. Checking your status such as surface interval or no fly time is just a matter of pressing any button to wake it up. But, then, I do not have experience with all or even a majority of all that are available so I could be in error when I say most are like this.
This example of "turn off" is simply turning off the display (which consumes lots of power).

The DC will continue running as long as there is any residual tissue loading calculations to be performed. Otherwise it would not be very useful for repetitive dives.

Back to the original question, turning it off for 5 days. I would say no. 5 weeks, maybe. 5 months, go ahead and do it.
Battery life in modern computers is really good. And in sleep mode, have you owned a watch in the past 30 years? they run for years on a tiny battery. Half the time the battery will die of old age before it is actually run down by the load on a the watch. Same stuff in a dive computer to keep time and date.

This example of "turn off" is simply turning off the display (which consumes lots of power).

The DC will continue running as long as there is any residual tissue loading calculations to be performed. Otherwise it would not be very useful for repetitive dives.
Hence why I put the words "turn off" in quotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom